[Theory] Unraveling the Unlimited Detail plausibility

Started by
166 comments, last by Ben Bowen 11 years, 10 months ago

here is my take on this thing having also now watched the interview..

1. forget the "unlimited" bit... nothing in the universe is so just see it as just a "AWESOME AMOUNTS OF" instead, which is what he means methinks. so don't waste your energy on that, we all know its not actually unlimited. That is if you are taking the word unlimited to mean infinite.... but the two are different, unlimited could be the same as when another engine says it supports an unlimited number of lights.... which it true... the engine supports it.... your machine might just not be able to handle it (not a limit imposed by the engine but by the users computer)
either way I wouldn't get hung up on it.

2. he is the guy who came up with the technology and he was a hobby programmer, this could explain how he gets some terms wrong (level of distance??!) and why he may seem quite condescending... if he has no background in traditional graphics then that would make sense. His lack of knowledge of current methodologies is what I think lead to him going about it however he has done.

3. I am more and more thinking that this will lead somewhere and may indeed be the future of graphics (the guy who interviewed him was blown away) and from the sounds of it its only going to get better and faster

4. It still "boggles my mind"!!!

5. - 10. not included as I should really be working

:)

That boggles my mind also, so I did some research over internet about their algorithm. Didn't find much, but this post is quite interesting :

http://www.somedude.....php?f=12&t=419

To quote the post :

I'd like to mention Unlimited Detail, a technology developed by Bruce Dell, which does in fact do exactly what he claims it does... Render incredibly detailed 3D scenes at interactive frame rates... without 3D hardware acceleration. It accomplishes this using a novel traversal of a octree style data structure. The effect is perfect occlusion without retracing tree nodes. The result is tremendous efficiency.

I have seen the system in action and I have seen the C++ source code of his inner loop. What is more impressive is that the core algorithm does not need complex math instructions like square root or trig, in fact it does not use floating point instructions or do multiplies and divides!
[/quote]

So it seems they are relying on some "octree like" data structure (as many supposed). What is boggling me the most is the fact their algorithm isn't using multiplies or divides or any other floating point instructions (as they say). Is there a way to traverse an octree (doing tree nodes intersection tests) only with simple instructions ? I don't see how (I only know raycasting, and it seems difficult for me to do this without divides, I know that other ways to render an octree exist but I do not know how they work).
--
GFalcon
0x5f3759df
Advertisement
It probably doesn't use ANY arithmetic instructions. It's probably a brand new, revolutionary algorithm that uses Hope and Wish instructions.
it does not use floating point instructions or do multiplies and divides![/quote]

Integer arithmetic with shift operators?
Latest project: Sideways Racing on the iPad
it does not use floating point instructions or do multiplies and divides![/quote]

Power of two integer arithmetic with shift operators?

That boggles my mind also, so I did some research over internet about their algorithm. Didn't find much, but this post is quite interesting :

http://www.somedude.....php?f=12&t=419

To quote the post :

I'd like to mention Unlimited Detail, a technology developed by Bruce Dell, which does in fact do exactly what he claims it does... Render incredibly detailed 3D scenes at interactive frame rates... without 3D hardware acceleration. It accomplishes this using a novel traversal of a octree style data structure. The effect is perfect occlusion without retracing tree nodes. The result is tremendous efficiency.

I have seen the system in action and I have seen the C++ source code of his inner loop. What is more impressive is that the core algorithm does not need complex math instructions like square root or trig, in fact it does not use floating point instructions or do multiplies and divides!

[/quote]
Interesting. There's an algorithm like that which is fairly common. I mentioned it before in this thread. The optimal frustum culling algorithm for octrees. It uses a look-up table for each level of an octree for the accept/reject corner tests. The plus is it relies on very simple addition and can exploit SSE insanely well. Few if anyone implements it I believe since it can be difficult to understand at first. However, I'm not sure how that would help in this problem. I mean I've always written off using it because it must be done per SVO object and it's not a cheap operation even with it's many optimizations (there's ways as you traverse down to keep a list of the still valid frustum planes such that you only use 1 frustum plane for most of the traversal accept/reject tests. However, it still requires this stupid sorting step which seems like a hurdle that can't be solved. Hmm this is making me want to write a test algorithm to see if maybe I missed something where maybe things optimize even further than I'd imagined. :unsure:

So it seems they are relying on some "octree like" data structure (as many supposed). What is boggling me the most is the fact their algorithm isn't using multiplies or divides or any other floating point instructions (as they say). Is there a way to traverse an octree (doing tree nodes intersection tests) only with simple instructions ? I don't see how (I only know raycasting, and it seems difficult for me to do this without divides, I know that other ways to render an octree exist but I do not know how they work).
[/quote]

I'm not intensly familiar with SVO, but really, whoever you quoted above has no grasp of reality it seems. Not using multiplication and division does not make it impressive by itself, also note, the core algorithm. Meaning, going along a ray and traversing an octree. Going along a ray can be done using a variation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bresenham's_line_algorithm ... and holy shit! It doesn't use division and multiplication other than for precomputing some values! Bresenham's line algorithm sure is modern day rocket science it seems.

So, let's step back, and look at the problem... we have a RAY and an OCTREE, and our intention is to find the first node in the octree the ray hits, to get the pixel color... so:

1. Step along the ray using some algorithm (bresenham's line algorithm perhaps?)
2. For each step, check the corresponding octree node, if empty go to 1, exit if solid
3. Recurse one level down into the octree, go to 1

A bit simplistic yes, but unless I'm missing something, then that is the "core algorithm"... and no I don't see any unicorn in there.

Just to be clear though, this is one way of implementing it, there are likely a lot better ways, but it wouldn't suprise me if this is what they actually use, just a bit optimized.

1. Step along the ray using some algorithm (bresenham's line algorithm perhaps?)

I am not a c or c++ programmer and have little grasp on exactly how fast it is other than I know it ain't exactly slow.

How many "steps" do you think they could implement per pixel?
10? 100? 1000?

I have no idea, and what do you think the maximum that could be achieved while still hitting something like 30fps?

[quote name='Syranide' timestamp='1313679140' post='4850789']

I am not a c or c++ programmer and have little grasp on exactly how fast it is other than I know it ain't exactly slow.

How many "steps" do you think they could implement per pixel?
10? 100? 1000?

I have no idea, and what do you think the maximum that could be achieved while still hitting something like 30fps?

[/quote]

Bresenham's algorithm is a line tracing algorithm that only uses integers, and it's really fast... there are a bunch of others too for different purposes that might be more suitable. But really, they can't be much more than a few instructions per step. And the interesting thing is that with some optimizations, it seems as if you shouldn't even need to recompute the starting values when you go down the octree, but rather just bitshift some of the values (*2 and /2).

Perhaps it could be a variation of the good old Marching Cubes algorithm, combined with some kind of an octree traversal.

I'm not intensly familiar with SVO, but really, whoever you quoted above has no grasp of reality it seems. Not using multiplication and division does not make it impressive by itself, also note, the core algorithm. Meaning, going along a ray and traversing an octree. Going along a ray can be done using a variation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bresenham's_line_algorithm ... and holy shit! It doesn't use division and multiplication other than for precomputing some values! Bresenham's line algorithm sure is modern day rocket science it seems.

So, let's step back, and look at the problem... we have a RAY and an OCTREE, and our intention is to find the first node in the octree the ray hits, to get the pixel color... so:

2. For each step, check the corresponding octree node, if empty go to 1, exit if solid
3. Recurse one level down into the octree, go to 1

A bit simplistic yes, but unless I'm missing something, then that is the "core algorithm"... and no I don't see any unicorn in there.

Just to be clear though, this is one way of implementing it, there are likely a lot better ways, but it wouldn't suprise me if this is what they actually use, just a bit optimized.
[/quote]

I also thought about Bresenham's algorithm applied to it yesterday, but it might need a lot of (small) steps along the ray to check the octree nodes ... but why not.
For sure, if their "core algorithm" is done this way there are no unicorn here, I agree on that :)
Well even if they say they are not using ray casting, I begin to think that in fact they are. Maybe, they just call it differently because they are not doing it the usual way.
--
GFalcon
0x5f3759df

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement