Game server and database communication

Started by
10 comments, last by Butabee 12 years, 8 months ago

[quote name='Butabee' timestamp='1312581408' post='4845241']
would go communicate through a game world server which would then access the php scripts

In a traditional world, the game server would connect directly to the database server, using whatever the database server's client library is (either linked in, or something like ODBC).

If you build PHP scripts just to front-end the database, then generally you'd want to do that because you want to enforce a REST-ful view of your data. That can sometimes be a good idea, but it means that your entire application needs to actually be designed for a REST back-end, or it's just pointless extra work.
[/quote]

They say Unity is has ODBC support but I have no idea where the documentation is on how to use it with unity, or how to use it at all. If there's little documentation, I'd much rather use scripts even if it is some extra work.
Advertisement

They say Unity is has ODBC support but I have no idea where the documentation is on how to use it with unity, or how to use it at all. If there's little documentation, I'd much rather use scripts even if it is some extra work.

So your proposed architecture is this?

1) Unity client
2) Unity game server
3) PHP application server
4) Database

That can work fine, assuming that you can trust what 2) sends to 3).
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

[quote name='Butabee' timestamp='1312588382' post='4845277']

So your proposed architecture is this?

1) Unity client
2) Unity game server
3) PHP application server
4) Database

That can work fine, assuming that you can trust what 2) sends to 3).
[/quote]

Yup that's it! :)

I'm actually kinda debating on the game server though, I'd like to have server side physics but that's less players per server, but IMO there's no reason to support more players than can be handled as if the whole server of players was in one area and interacting.

I think unity as a game server could only handle 500-1000(depending on current CPUs) concurrent players with physics and collision detection. That's more than a client could render at reasonable speeds though so I guess I'm good :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement