Sign in to follow this  

Custom map format for large maps

This topic is 2322 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I program in C# SlimDX, but this might be more of a generic game programming question, so move if if it's appropriate.

Anyway, I'm creating a world editor, and I've gotten stuck on how I should save the map to a file. Tehcnically this wouldn't be a problem if the maps weren't so large. But the maps will be larger than I expect will fit in memory all at once, so I need to know where the patches/quads are located in the file.

I first saved the ground information (height and texture-weights of each vertex) of each patch just after each other, and I knew were the patches were located. But now I realized that I won't be able to load information about static meshes and objects at the same time either, cause it's just gonna be too much. So now I don't know where to store the data about static meshes and objects in the file. I could just add an extra gap in the file between each patch that this information will be at, but I'm assuming it's gonna be a lot of un-used space in the file for the patches that barely have any objects or static meshes.

Anyone has any tips on how to store this much detail in a file but still know where exactly to find the data of each patch?

Thanks in advance!

// Anton

I would just store the terrain in one section, and then either use another file for the object location / state data, or append it to the end of the file. Typically the terrain is considered a static data file, while the object state would be part of something like a save game file since it changes from one run to the next - so I would suggest having separate files.

This topic is 2322 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.