Two Questions?

Started by
22 comments, last by Tom Sloper 12 years, 8 months ago
I got my game ready to be developed, so I have two questions I hope someone can help me with

1. I would like to get a team that will work for free to get the game started, then reimbursed when the game is launched. So excluding that part, how much am I looking to be spending on getting the game launched. The game is kinda like a Zynga style game, your own game, but its still interactive with others who are playing it.

2. I live in Worcester, MA. 2 of the top 10 game design schools is located in here. Would it be best to get a team from the schools or better to work with others who have a bit more experience in gaming. Mainly the advantage of working with the team personally rather than online.
Advertisement
IDK about the first question, but i'de say experience is better then having the person live near you. I mean, your going to be on your computers anyway. Even if he lives near you, its not like you would be in the same house(?).
If you want to find people to work with In real life instead of online you should maybe go outside and find someone that does programming in the city that you live in..
Maybe put up an poster.. I don't know.
(Programming was an example)

1. I would like to get a team that will work for free to get the game started, then reimbursed when the game is launched.
1. how much am I looking to be spending on getting the game launched. The game is kinda like a Zynga style game, your own game, but its still interactive with others who are playing it.
2. Would it be best to get a team from the schools or better to work with others who have a bit more experience in gaming.

1. That's a very common and unworkable idea. Read my column, "The Idea Guy."
2. Go on the Facebook developer site, and read up on their requirements there.
2. More experience is, of course, best. But it's gonna cost you.

By the way, these are all business questions. So this is moving to Business.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

[quote name='Verdict' timestamp='1312573682' post='4845175']
1. I would like to get a team that will work for free to get the game started, then reimbursed when the game is launched.
1. how much am I looking to be spending on getting the game launched. The game is kinda like a Zynga style game, your own game, but its still interactive with others who are playing it.
2. Would it be best to get a team from the schools or better to work with others who have a bit more experience in gaming.

1. That's a very common and unworkable idea. Read my column, "The Idea Guy."
2. Go on the Facebook developer site, and read up on their requirements there.
2. More experience is, of course, best. But it's gonna cost you.

By the way, these are all business questions. So this is moving to Business.
[/quote]

That's the exact article I needed to read. A good boost in my confidence in creating a game company. I do have around 10 games I am currently writing up. Would getting a team to join a game company be a better approach than getting a team to join on an idea.

The biggest obstacle is funding the team. Not much of a problem to cover the cost of launching the game, which is why I was hoping to get a right-around figure of how much it might cost.

I got my game ready to be developed, so I have two questions I hope someone can help me with

1. I would like to get a team that will work for free to get the game started, then reimbursed when the game is launched. So excluding that part, how much am I looking to be spending on getting the game launched. The game is kinda like a Zynga style game, your own game, but its still interactive with others who are playing it.

As tom said , it just isn't viable to get a team to work for you for potential future revenue shares, you can get people to help you out a bit in exchange for a share of future revenue but you should be prepared to
1) Do more real work than everyone else. (Especially at the start, if you have nothing to show then noone with any real skills will be interested)
2) Get a lower share of the revenue than you think you deserve (Sorry, but you won't get anything extra for coming up with the idea, if an idea is all you have then you won't be able to keep any money for yourself).

I can implement my own game idea and get 100% of the revenue, if you want me to work on your idea you need to make me a better offer than that. (If you bring any real skills to the table then i'd work with you, as long as you take a smaller share of the revenue than i would have to give up to get someone with equivalent skills to work for me on my idea). (Design is a real skill, but it has almost nothing to do with ideas)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
1. Would getting a team to join a game company be a better approach than getting a team to join on an idea.
2. The biggest obstacle is funding the team.
3. Not much of a problem to cover the cost of launching the game, which is why I was hoping to get a right-around figure of how much it might cost.

1. I don't understand what those two options are. And I don't have much confidence that you are far enough along to be able to do either one at this time.
2. Sure. Why don't you read some of the other threads on this forum. Like for instance the one about "recursion" (I forget the exact thread title). And read FAQ 29 on my site: http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson29.htm
3. You still can. Go on FB and do your research about submitting an app there.

[quote name='Verdict' timestamp='1312573682' post='4845175']

As tom said , it just isn't viable to get a team to work for you for potential future revenue shares, you can get people to help you out a bit in exchange for a share of future revenue but you should be prepared to
1) Do more real work than everyone else. (Especially at the start, if you have nothing to show then noone with any real skills will be interested)
2) Get a lower share of the revenue than you think you deserve (Sorry, but you won't get anything extra for coming up with the idea, if an idea is all you have then you won't be able to keep any money for yourself).

I can implement my own game idea and get 100% of the revenue, if you want me to work on your idea you need to make me a better offer than that. (If you bring any real skills to the table then i'd work with you, as long as you take a smaller share of the revenue than i would have to give up to get someone with equivalent skills to work for me on my idea). (Design is a real skill, but it has almost nothing to do with ideas)
[/quote]
I don't have design or coding skills, but I'm very specific on exactly how everything in the game would look and work for the most part. Is not only me having an idea, and the team figures it out, I have everything everything everything down that has to be put in the game, and how the look of everything for the most part will be, ton of over-looking of the whole process. Added on I would be funding every aspect of the project getting launched.

If its my ideas, how is it I keep nothing from it, my ideas is what will make you money. If people decide to join my team, obviously my game ideas are good where they would want to create it. Of course a lot of the money from the games goes to the team, if we were able to create the game where a lot of money was generated, I'd always want this team for all other projects I want to develop.

[quote name='Verdict' timestamp='1312578124' post='4845220']1. Would getting a team to join a game company be a better approach than getting a team to join on an idea.
2. The biggest obstacle is funding the team.
3. Not much of a problem to cover the cost of launching the game, which is why I was hoping to get a right-around figure of how much it might cost.

1. I don't understand what those two options are. And I don't have much confidence that you are far enough along to be able to do either one at this time.
2. Sure. Why don't you read some of the other threads on this forum. Like for instance the one about "recursion" (I forget the exact thread title). And read FAQ 29 on my site: http://www.sloperama...ce/lesson29.htm
3. You still can. Go on FB and do your research about submitting an app there.
[/quote]

Can you please explain further on "I don't have much confidence that you are far enough along to be able to do either one at this time" be specific if you can.
1. Would getting a team to join a game company be a better approach than getting a team to join on an idea.

Explain, please. I do not understand this question.

[quote name='Verdict' post='4845244']1. Would getting a team to join a game company be a better approach than getting a team to join on an idea.

Explain, please. I do not understand this question.
[/quote]

Nah, what I said is one and the same, scratch that part of what I said.

But what else is it I need to do, when you said you don't think I'm far enough ready to start the games?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement