I finished my first game...now what?

Started by
6 comments, last by arcontiJoe 12 years, 8 months ago
Greetings all. I'm new to the forums and looking forward to learning all that I can from them.

Like the topic says, I just finished my first flash game and I am not exactly sure what to do next.

1. I know that I need to encrypt/obfuscate and test for bugs caused by the encryption software.

2. I need to test how the swf displays in multiple browsers.

2a. How exactly does one test their game in multiple browsers? Is there software that I need for that?

2b. What browsers should I be testing for?

3. Test the game online. My plans for a personal website are not yet outlined as I really would like to get several titles completed before concentrating on a website. A temporary testing web page will be fine for my

immediate needs. Recommendation for a free or low priced web host?

4. Post the game to all relevant game sites.

Any info that could help would be greatly appreciated as I am SO READY to get rid of this game and start the next one.

Thanks.
Advertisement
http://www.000webhost.com/ offers great free hosting, with php and everything

2a. How exactly does one test their game in multiple browsers? Is there software that I need for that?

Shouldn't you be able to download multiple browsers and just run your game in there?

I would test it in chrome, firefox, internet explorer, safari, and maybe opera.
Vexxhost.com is Excellent. If youre looking for a host under ~$6, you wont find one better

Greetings all. I'm new to the forums and looking forward to learning all that I can from them.

Like the topic says, I just finished my first flash game and I am not exactly sure what to do next.

1. I know that I need to encrypt/obfuscate and test for bugs caused by the encryption software.

3. Test the game online. My plans for a personal website are not yet outlined as I really would like to get several titles completed before concentrating on a website. A temporary testing web page will be fine for my

immediate needs. Recommendation for a free or low priced web host?

4. Post the game to all relevant game sites.

Any info that could help would be greatly appreciated as I am SO READY to get rid of this game and start the next one.

Thanks.

Since its your first game, just test it in the popular browsers and then upload it to a flash games portal and look at the feedback you get, i wouldn't bother with encryption/obfuscation, the code is protected by copyright anyway.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
You should be able to just download multiple browsers. I've had Firefox, IE9, Chrome, and Opera working just fine together. If all else fails, you can pick up VMWare Workstation for real cheap and just build a couple of virtuals to test in.

Even if you do get all that setup. I highly recommend running penetration tests against whatever you end up setting up. There is software out there, but a lot of it isn't cheap like Fortify App Scan or Defender. Even so, you can check out CWE, CAPEC, and CVE at mitre.org to learn more about what not to do.

http://capec.mitre.org

http://cve.mitre.org

http://cwe.mitre.org

a. Download browsers, play game.
b. Well, let's see. IE, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera... on Mac, Unix, PC. Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP. Snow Leopard, and whatever Mac OSes preceded that.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thanks for all the info. It looks like I have a bit to process. Will update and notify everyone when the game goes live.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement