Resource Question

Started by
0 comments, last by Gilzu 22 years, 7 months ago
i''m putting all my game sprites inside my ExE file as resources (res file). my concern is that when i start my program i dont want my resources to occupy my memory when i''m not using them (lots of sprites). no, i dont want to use them in separate bmp format, cause i dont want ppl to mess w/my sprites. so, do you know if ALL of the resources are loaded into the memory upon program activation? thanks
[email=gil@gilzu.com]Gil Zussman[/email]Check out Goose Chase, Coming this fall!http://www.gilzu.com
Advertisement
I may be corrected later on this but I''m pretty sure that''s the actual nature of a res file - a place for resources your code needs immediately available. If you don''t want people messing with your sprites, but want to maintain their footprint, then a res file is not the way to go. Don''t overlook the design considerations behind the packaging techniques use in Unreal, Half-Life, Quake, etc - when you get right down it these are little more than compressed res files of an esoteric format (and a GUID).

-----------------
-WarMage
...the gravity of anguish gives rise to the tides of war...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement