Sign in to follow this  
Rukiri

Moving from game maker

Hey, whatsup gamedev community?

My name's Erick and I have been programming for awhile but never went beyond game maker's boundaries and GML, and it's also creating some bad programming habits as I'm trying to find something else to move to that's A.) Faster, B.) More Powerful, and C.) did I say faster?
Before I begin I will say I'm a 2D artist so obviously I'll be creating a 2D game, so I'll be looking at a mix of 2d/3d engines out in safari.

Now that we established I'm more of an artist than a programmer but I also do like coding as well as I like to piece my game together and make it fun, that's what game making has always been like for me fun.

Now let's actually get to the topic shall we? I'm basically trying to move out from game maker and looking for a comfortable place to start, I have heard some good things about blitzmax and decent things about torque2D which I own btw. What I don't like Torque 2D and it's really irritating is that it scales my sprites which I don't want it to, sure it's nice if you want a higher res game than well your sprites/art should be high res, not the other way around if your art is for a 640X480 game but your game window is at 500X300. It just doesn't look good as it should with torque 2d, but not really a fan of how Torque script is set out..

I have tried XNA in the past and C# in some way's does remind me of GML but every time I create a tile-map the map seems to create white stripes across the screen.
My specs are.
- 2X Radeon 6970 2G Vram
- 12TB HDD
- 100GB DDR3 1066mhz Ram
- 2 6-core Xeon CPUs 4.2GHZ

HP Z800 pretty close to maxed out basically so I shouldn't really have these issues with tile-maps as it doesn't have with C++.

[quote name='Rukiri' timestamp='1312704534' post='4845707']

My name's Erick and I have been programming for awhile but never went beyond game maker's boundaries and GML, and it's also creating some bad programming habits as I'm trying to find something else to move to that's A.) Faster, B.) More Powerful, and C.) did I say faster?
Before I begin I will say I'm a 2D artist so obviously I'll be creating a 2D game, so I'll be looking at a mix of 2d/3d engines out in safari.

Now that we established I'm more of an artist than a programmer but I also do like coding as well as I like to piece my game together and make it fun, that's what game making has always been like for me fun.

Now let's actually get to the topic shall we? I'm basically trying to move out from game maker and looking for a comfortable place to start, I have heard some good things about blitzmax and decent things about torque2D which I own btw. What I don't like Torque 2D and it's really irritating is that it scales my sprites which I don't want it to, sure it's nice if you want a higher res game than well your sprites/art should be high res, not the other way around if your art is for a 640X480 game but your game window is at 500X300. It just doesn't look good as it should with torque 2d, but not really a fan of how Torque script is set out..

I have tried XNA in the past and C# in some way's does remind me of GML but every time I create a tile-map the map seems to create white stripes across the screen.
My specs are.
- 2X Radeon 6970 2G Vram
- 12TB HDD
- 100GB DDR3 1066mhz Ram

HP Z800 pretty close to maxed out basically so I shouldn't really have these issues with tile-maps as it doesn't have with C++.
[/quote]

Sorry to go off topic, but are you joking about that computer? May I ask why exactly you have that stuff haha? The odds that you are using 100GB of ram are quite low.

[quote name='Joe P' timestamp='1312767442' post='4845999']

My specs are.
- 2X Radeon 6970 2G Vram
- 12TB HDD
- 100GB DDR3 1066mhz Ram

[/quote]

Sorry to go off topic, but are you joking about that computer? May I ask why exactly you have that stuff haha? The odds that you are using 100GB of ram are quite low.
[/quote]

It's a workstation and supports up to 192GB of ram, basically just to have it lol. No normal person would by a workstation but I have a lot of $$$ so I'm not so an avid person.

[quote name='Rukiri' timestamp='1312771695' post='4846027']
[quote name='Joe P' timestamp='1312767442' post='4845999']

My specs are.
- 2X Radeon 6970 2G Vram
- 12TB HDD
- 100GB DDR3 1066mhz Ram

[/quote]

[/quote]

It's a workstation and supports up to 192GB of ram, basically just to have it lol. No normal person would by a workstation but I have a lot of $$ so I'm not so an avid person.
[/quote]

Ahh I was gonna ask if it was a server/workstation. Well ok then.. I kind of thought you were some gamer kid who thought that he would spend a ton of money on a PC for Call of Duty hahaha.. not knowing that it would be the same as having 8 gigs of ram. Well ok. Sorry for being annoying :)

Why not program your own game with your own engine rather than going from one game maker to another. As torque 2d is actually torque game builder.

Also - if you tried to use C# / XNA but gave up when you encountered a bug (stripes on your tilemap) - then you don't really have much hope in progressing in any real language at all.

A few basic things go hand in hand with programming.

Bugs.
Lack of sleep due to trying to fix a bug.
Waking up early and just having to fix that bug you left last night.
Moments where you code a lot of stuff up for an hour, hit run and it works 100% - but then you feel uneasy as because you didn't have to fix any bugs it doesn't feel right.
Coffee and bugs.

Programming your own engine is kind of the fun part, for me anyways. If you're using a game maker, sure you may learn the scripting, but you don't really learn how it works. Though this could be said the same for using a library like Allegro with C/C++ or Java as well. I found that Java was easier to learn the graphic parts then it was for Allegro. Both easily create 2d games as well. Though the torque engine takes a lot of the programming out of the game and puts more focus on creating the game, like graphics and sounds. I can't draw, and sounds, bleh. So I would rather program then have something programmed for me.