Ambient occlusion simulation for AAA projects

Started by
87 comments, last by _the_phantom_ 12 years, 8 months ago
Hi
I have algorithm of fake ambient occlusion and indirect lighting which looks good for big and small static or dynamic objects (f.e. buildings and garbage after destruction), also fast enough. And i'd like to share (if game is good for my opinion, then for free) it for some AAA game project, but don't know how and is that needed to anybody.
Could someone describe how to contact with developers if their public e-mails are never read (for sure) or not available at all? Is such technology (dx9 requires at least) may be interesting or it doesn't matter (for consoles especially)? What is the time period before official game release date, when developers are unable to modify the engine code any more?
Thanks

PS: i haven't found any close forum sections for this question, sorry.
Advertisement
If have something you want to share, just share it. Put it on a blog, make a thread describing it, make it a sample here or on some other site, or (if it's really really good) submit a proposal to conference or a compilation book. Or just post it here, and we can discuss it. Plenty of professional developers hang out here. :wink:
That's right, but i wish to give exclusive right to use for some title first. And when it will be released, publish paper "how to". It's the best way to move algorithm agressively to many games (kind of "stereo" after Avatar movie). I know myself, i can't advertise or sell anything, so even machine for making gold from air will be forgotten. The only way i decided to show up is what i said in the header (((.

That's right, but i wish to give exclusive right to use for some title first. And when it will be released, publish paper "how to". It's the best way to move algorithm agressively to many games (kind of "stereo" after Avatar movie). I know myself, i can't advertise or sell anything, so even machine for making gold from air will be forgotten. The only way i decided to show up is what i said in the header (((.
then you should at least post comparison screenshots and explain the advantage of using your algorithm, otherwise, why should any AAA programmer take your mysterious tech instead of those 100 published public techs?

[quote name='dummynull' timestamp='1312748410' post='4845883']
then you should at least post comparison screenshots and explain the advantage of using your algorithm, otherwise, why should any AAA programmer take your mysterious tech instead of those 100 published public techs?
[/quote]
Perhaps because i don't know the same kind of method by quality and performance.
BTW i have nice examples/demos/screenshots, but only for target developer teams, it's out of this topic, sorry.
This is just silly.

Games companies get a lot of emails from people with a great idea that they're keeping secret... there's a good reason that they're not replying to your emails -- they've experienced this before.

AAA games in particular will have their own graphics programmers who might be interested in reading your paper, but probably not having your solution just dropped in their lap.

If you go around asking companies "would you like to use my secret solution for AO", you're going to get ignored.
If you instead give them a paper to read, then they'll read it, but most will probably still ignore it. If you want it to end up in a game, then you need as many companies as possible to read your paper, so that maybe one of them will actually implement and ship it.
Thanks, i understand. Then i'll try just to send previews in different companies and if not, rip.
I would recommend publishing some initial screenshots & videos and performance statistics (preferably on Xbox360 & PS3) and let people judge themselves if the results are good or not. Even if the quality & numbers are good for further interest, there are big questions regarding memory consumption, workflow impact and rendering engine assumptions if the approach is feasible for AAA production. Since it's your baby and you are very secretive about it, there's a very good chance that you are heavily biased, don't really realize the true pitfalls of your approach and are blind to the quality of your own work. This is far too common phenomena for any AAA game developer to ignore and no one will just take your word for it. The question is also if the quality, performance, etc. are so much better than publicly known algorithms (and there are many in this area) that it would be worth the effort to go through all the legal hurdle.

Since no one will license or commit to a technology without opportunity of a peer review, how do you plan to address this without exposing your algorithm? No AAA game developer will sign an NDA with you (too much hassle for such a small thing). Providing the algorithm as a closed source lib would also be way too cumbersome & risky for this kind of small scale solution (porting, intergration, etc. issues). If you got something truly impressive, I think the best way would be to write a paper about your approach and claim the credit for inventing the algorithm to build your reputation in the area.

Cheers, Jarkko

I would recommend publishing some initial screenshots & videos and performance statistics (preferably on Xbox360 & PS3) and let people judge themselves if the results are good or not. Even if the quality & numbers are good for further interest, there are big questions regarding memory consumption, workflow impact and rendering engine assumptions if the approach is feasible for AAA production. Since it's your baby and you are very secretive about it, there's a very good chance that you are heavily biased, don't really realize the true pitfalls of your approach and are blind to the quality of your own work. This is far too common phenomena for any AAA game developer to ignore and no one will just take your word for it. The question is also if the quality, performance, etc. are so much better than publicly known algorithms (and there are many in this area) that it would be worth the effort to go through all the legal hurdle.

Since no one will license or commit to a technology without opportunity of a peer review, how do you plan to address this without exposing your algorithm? No AAA game developer will sign an NDA with you (too much hassle for such a small thing). Providing the algorithm as a closed source lib would also be way too cumbersome & risky for this kind of small scale solution (porting, intergration, etc. issues). If you got something truly impressive, I think the best way would be to write a paper about your approach and claim the credit for inventing the algorithm to build your reputation in the area.

Cheers, Jarkko

Thanks for suggestions. Unfortunately i don't have access to console devkits, but for sure it's possible to port the code for them. The code is simple enough, i prefer to give it as tech description with src demo, not risky middleware. Screenshots and videos also not a problem. Publicity algorithm seems not existing (at such performance and quality without precomputations, even for skinned characters, i can't find any close). Also the quality is prooved by many gamers opinion, of course they don't know that it's new algorthm. What else i forgot to fill all requirements? Don't know, really, as for me, it's good and tasty, may be it's just nothing to scare about...
One way to show the quality of the algorithm on Xbox360 is via XNA. It may not be a good way to show off performance (unless it relies mostly on the GPU... AFAIK XNA's GPU usage shouldn't be much different than native GPU usage).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement