Sign in to follow this  
dutt

Register method as global function

I'm writing a ScriptManager c++ class that has a registerType(string& name) method that I would like to register as a global function in the script.

I've got RegisterGlobalFunction working for global methods and I could use a proxy function or make it static but I'm wondering if there's a proper way to do this.

registerEntitypType looks like this:
[code]

void ScriptManager::registerEntityType(string& name) {
cout <<"Registering type \"" <<name <<"\"" <<endl;
}
[/code]

I've tried both of these:
[code]r = mEngine->RegisterGlobalFunction("void registerType(string& in)", asFUNCTION(&ScriptManager::registerEntityType), asCALL_CDECL);[/code]

[code]r = mEngine->RegisterGlobalFunction("void registerType(string& in)", asMETHOD(ScriptManager, registerEntityType), asCALL_THISCALL); [/code]

After a little bit of searching I found [url="http://www.gamedev.net/topic/591814-funcdefs-to-member-functions/"]this[/url], is that still the state?

This is what I'm using:
[code] int r;
r = mEngine->RegisterObjectType("ScriptManager", 0, asOBJ_REF | asOBJ_NOHANDLE); assert( r >= 0);
r = mEngine->RegisterObjectMethod("ScriptManager", "void registerEntityType(string)", asMETHOD(ScriptManager, registerEntityType, asCALL_THISCALL); assert( r >= 0);
// Register the singleton's address that the script will use to access it
r = mEngine->RegisterGlobalProperty("ScriptManager scriptmanager", this); assert( r >= 0);
[/code]

You could of course change the way you register the type of the class, but the RegisterGlobalProperty is the function you need. :)

<edit>
D'oh - didn't read the other topic in depth - my post doesn't really apply, does it?
</edit> Edited by jacmoe

[quote name='dutt' timestamp='1312747518' post='4845879']
After a little bit of searching I found [url="http://www.gamedev.net/topic/591814-funcdefs-to-member-functions/"]this[/url], is that still the state?
[/quote]

Yes. Unfortunately, this is still the case.

If you want the method to look like a global function in the script you need to use a proxy function.

[quote name='WitchLord' timestamp='1312755647' post='4845933']
[quote name='dutt' timestamp='1312747518' post='4845879']
[/quote]

Yes. Unfortunately, this is still the case.

If you want the method to look like a global function in the script you need to use a proxy function.
[/quote]

Ok, I might register a system object and put all my globals in that instead then. "system.registerType" is almost as good as just "registerType".

Do you have a rough idea when you might find the time to include support for registering methods as global functions?