Sign in to follow this  
NeoOne

Just starting...

I have tinkered with C++ but know I should learn more in the field. I am looking for textbooks and just want to know where is the best place to start? Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I have looked around the web and found some places of interest. I am trying to self teach myself. At least to get a foundation in this field if I can ever get back to college it doesn't look real promising with finances and stuff so I want to teach myself and see what i can make happen.

Thank you for all of those that help. I am focused and ready to do something different in my life and I know gaming has always been a big part of it. I just want to learn!!! Where should I start?

[quote name='NeoOne' timestamp='1312750099' post='4845893']
I have tinkered with C++ but know I should learn more in the field. I am looking for textbooks and just want to know where is the best place to start? Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I have looked around the web and found some places of interest. I am trying to self teach myself. At least to get a foundation in this field if I can ever get back to college it doesn't look real promising with finances and stuff so I want to teach myself and see what i can make happen.

Thank you for all of those that help. I am focused and ready to do something different in my life and I know gaming has always been a big part of it. I just want to learn!!! Where should I start?
[/quote]

[url="http://www.gamefromscratch.com/post/2011/08/04/I-want-to-be-a-game-developer.aspx"]I wrote this [/url]to answer exactly that question. It's a long read, but by the end, you should have a much clearer idea what to do.There are a number of book recommendations within as well.

I'd tinker with c++ but at the same time learn to write games with c# then go back to c++ later. You'll have an easier time and pick up good habits that way round.

I have been learning C# which is has been great for me so far, and relatively simple. And I would not suggest learning two languages at the same time. But it is easy to learn a new language after you already know one (or so I have heard).

[quote name='melloorr' timestamp='1312753893' post='4845923']
I have been learning C# which is has been great for me so far, and relatively simple. And I would not suggest learning two languages at the same time. But it is easy to learn a new language after you already know one (or so I have heard).
[/quote]

It is, not that the languages are any easier to learn, its just you don't have to grasp new concepts. An array is an array, flow control is almost always identical, etc... Plus languages have been "borrowing" from each other for so long there is a lot of commonality.

Would developing for the IOS be a good place to start? I am very interested in learning the ins and outs of whatever I need to know. Really want to work with XNA too would it be best to just focus on one direction for now?

[quote name='NeoOne' timestamp='1312766500' post='4845992']
Also I am wondering is there a free version of visual studio and XNA?
[/quote]

Visual Studio 2010 Express.
[url="http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products/2010-editions/express"]http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products/2010-editions/express[/url]

[quote name='Serapth' timestamp='1312767825' post='4846003']
Didn't go to the link I posted, eh? ;)
[/quote]

No I have read over your link quite extensively and really appreciate it. I am actually reading everything about c# now. Reading one of those ebooks has I type. Your link has been very helpful I guess I'm just trying to get as much clarification as i can. Thank you again.

[quote name='NeoOne' timestamp='1312770047' post='4846018']
[/quote]

No I have read over your link quite extensively and really appreciate it. I am actually reading everything about c# now. Reading one of those ebooks has I type. Your link has been very helpful I guess I'm just trying to get as much clarification as i can. Thank you again.
[/quote]

Well, there is a link for download XNA/Visual Studio free in there... :)

[quote name='Serapth' timestamp='1312770516' post='4846023']
[quote name='NeoOne' timestamp='1312770047' post='4846018']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Well, there is a link for download XNA/Visual Studio free in there... :)
[/quote]

ok thanks i got it.

Ok I'm reading the book by rob miles (intro to c#). In the first chapter he gives instructions to create an application/game titled moodlight. Anyway when i attempt to run it i get an error message stating no 3d graphics card. I know i don't have a top notch graphics card, but do you really need a 3d card to run a program that is suppose to just turn the screen blue? Is there something I'm missing somewhere? Please help and thank you for all advice.

[quote name='NeoOne' timestamp='1312780294' post='4846056']
Ok I'm reading the book by rob miles (intro to c#). In the first chapter he gives instructions to create an application/game titled moodlight. Anyway when i attempt to run it i get an error message stating no 3d graphics card. I know i don't have a top notch graphics card, but do you really need a 3d card to run a program that is suppose to just turn the screen blue? Is there something I'm missing somewhere? Please help and thank you for all advice.
[/quote]

I have been reading his book to learn c#. But i have used this one: [url="http://www.robmiles.com/c-yellow-book/Rob%20Miles%20CSharp%20Yellow%20Book%202010.pdf"]http://www.robmiles....Book%202010.pdf[/url]

It is good and explains everything fairly well (and its free).

Anyway somebody can get like a trial membership to xna creators club? I'm wanting to work on games for the xbox360 but can't right now afford the membership fee. Thanks again.

[quote name='NeoOne' timestamp='1312846927' post='4846434']
Anyway somebody can get like a trial membership to xna creators club? I'm wanting to work on games for the xbox360 but can't right now afford the membership fee. Thanks again.
[/quote]
Dude you don't need to develop Xbox360 games until you have a very solid and practical understanding of 3D graphics and 3D gaming. Work on making simple PC games like Pong, then simple 3D worlds like minecraft/moving around in 3D space, then work on more advanced things like physics and collision detection/reaction. Then once you have a full game engine it will be very easy to port over to Xbox.

[quote name='NeoOne' timestamp='1312846927' post='4846434']
[/quote]

You wont be an xna "creator" for quite some time so dont worry about it. Take your time.