Just starting...

Started by
16 comments, last by JosephParrilla 12 years, 8 months ago
I have tinkered with C++ but know I should learn more in the field. I am looking for textbooks and just want to know where is the best place to start? Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I have looked around the web and found some places of interest. I am trying to self teach myself. At least to get a foundation in this field if I can ever get back to college it doesn't look real promising with finances and stuff so I want to teach myself and see what i can make happen.

Thank you for all of those that help. I am focused and ready to do something different in my life and I know gaming has always been a big part of it. I just want to learn!!! Where should I start?
Advertisement

I have tinkered with C++ but know I should learn more in the field. I am looking for textbooks and just want to know where is the best place to start? Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I have looked around the web and found some places of interest. I am trying to self teach myself. At least to get a foundation in this field if I can ever get back to college it doesn't look real promising with finances and stuff so I want to teach myself and see what i can make happen.

Thank you for all of those that help. I am focused and ready to do something different in my life and I know gaming has always been a big part of it. I just want to learn!!! Where should I start?

I wrote this to answer exactly that question. It's a long read, but by the end, you should have a much clearer idea what to do.There are a number of book recommendations within as well.
I'd tinker with c++ but at the same time learn to write games with c# then go back to c++ later. You'll have an easier time and pick up good habits that way round.
I have been learning C# which is has been great for me so far, and relatively simple. And I would not suggest learning two languages at the same time. But it is easy to learn a new language after you already know one (or so I have heard).

I have been learning C# which is has been great for me so far, and relatively simple. And I would not suggest learning two languages at the same time. But it is easy to learn a new language after you already know one (or so I have heard).

It is, not that the languages are any easier to learn, its just you don't have to grasp new concepts. An array is an array, flow control is almost always identical, etc... Plus languages have been "borrowing" from each other for so long there is a lot of commonality.
thanks for the help so far.
Would developing for the IOS be a good place to start? I am very interested in learning the ins and outs of whatever I need to know. Really want to work with XNA too would it be best to just focus on one direction for now?
Also I am wondering is there a free version of visual studio and XNA?

Also I am wondering is there a free version of visual studio and XNA?

Visual Studio 2010 Express.
http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products/2010-editions/express
Idono! That's me!
Didn't go to the link I posted, eh? ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement