Sign in to follow this  
Modred

[SDL] Storing perpixel alpha after alphablended blit

Modred    100
I want to blit SDL_Surface (a), which has perpixel alpha, on SDL_Surface (b), which also has perpixel alpha, and lateron I want to blit (b) onto the screen (d) without losing the alphaeffect.

So (a) get's created that way, for example:
[code]SDL_Surface *a = TTF_RenderText_Blended(font, "Hello!", color);[/code]
...and (b) like that:
[code]
SDL_Surface *tmp = SDL_CreateRGBSurface(SDL_SWSURFACE, b->w, b->h, 32, 0, 0, 0, 0);
b = SDL_DisplayFormatAlpha(x);[/code]

Then I fill (b) with complete transparency:
[code]SDL_FillRect(b, NULL, SDL_MapRGBA(b->format, 0, 0, 0, 0))[/code]

...and blit (a) on (b):
[code]SDL_BlitSurface(a, NULL, b, NULL);[/code]

The thing is... When blitting the pixel's alphavalue of (b) isn't changed. All pixels still have '0' as alpha value(To be certain: They have the alpha value they got when filling (b)). Any ways to perform this action right?
(Please don't ask why I need this to be done. I can workaround it, sure. But it got me curious, that's why I am asking.)

Modred    100
Excatly that's the point! If I fill (b) with '[i]SDL_FillRect(b, NULL, SDL_MapRGBA(b->format, 0, 0, 0, 0))[/i]' and blit (b) on the screen I see nothing because all pixel's of (b) have alpha '0'.
If I would call [i]SDL_FillRect(b, NULL, SDL_MapRGBA(b->format, 0, 0, 0, 128)), [/i](b) would appear half transparent when blitted on (d).

So the problem is: When I blit (a) on (b), why aren't the pixel's alpha values of (b) overwritten(overblended) with the alpha values of (a)'s pixels?

Modred    100
Ok, I'm afraid I have to push this again. I came across the same thing again and still have no solution.

So the thing is: I want a TTF rendered (blended -> creates 32bit surfaces with alpha channel) text to appear letter by letter. Therefor I want to create a buffer - surface where the text is drawn on, so that every letter only gets rendered once. BUT, I still want to keep the alpha-values of the surface created by TTF_RenderText_Blended, so that the text appears antialised when I blit the buffer-surface on the screen.

The Problem: According to this: http://wiki.libsdl.org/moin.cgi/SDL_SetAlpha there is no possibility to blit 2 surfaces and 'merge' their per-pixel-alpha. Is there any way around copying the memory myself, line after line?