Sign in to follow this  
StayFly

The Best Books

So I am wondering what are some good books that you have read about computer programming game programming, game design. Just need some helpful tips to get started. Planning on buying a few books off of amazon.

Also post some links if you know any websites that offer a great read in making video games. Stuff that really helped you out a lot when you first start programming and making games. Thanks

Hi RR,
while[color=#1C2837][size=2] game design (and so related books) might be generic, programming and game programming books are generally strictly related to the programming lenguage. In the former case you have to choose a lenguage/environment/ambient. [/size][/color]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]
[/size][/color]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]p.s.[/size][/color]
[size="2"][color="#1c2837"]For Beginners forum is full of topics like your asking for the same questions, just read/search :D[/color][/size]

The pragmatic programmer is a great general programming book. It's pretty language agnostic and gives a bunch of great tips to make you generally a better programmer.

[quote name='way2lazy2care' timestamp='1312898714' post='4846682']
The pragmatic programmer is a great general programming book. It's pretty language agnostic and gives a bunch of great tips to make you generally a better programmer.
[/quote]

I did a search on amazon for The pragmatic programmer got a lot of hits is there a book by a particular author that stood out to you?

[quote name='RoyalRyan' timestamp='1312907459' post='4846759']
[quote name='way2lazy2care' timestamp='1312898714' post='4846682']
[/quote]

I did a search on amazon for The pragmatic programmer got a lot of hits is there a book by a particular author that stood out to you?
[/quote]

[url="http://www.amazon.com/Pragmatic-Programmer-Journeyman-Master/dp/020161622X"]http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/020161622X[/url]

this one. Apparently there is a deal on it, Code Complete, and Design Patterns if you get all three. I'd score that deal as those are all pretty good books.

edit: jebus if you buy a lot of text books a kindle practically pays for itself D:

Broady is correct, book recommendations will typically be tied to the programming language. And I don't think the more general and abstract books are much use until you at least know a little of the programming experience.

If you're new to programming, I heavily discourage starting with C++. It might be the best tool for some use cases, but first-time project is not one of these. I recommend Python for beginners. Unfortunately, I can't recommend any beginner Python books (as I wasn't a beginner programmer when I learned it), but I'm sure some others here can help you out.

I learned C++ and Allegro to start off game programming from the book "All in one Game Programming" and used "Sam's teach yourself C++" book as a reference to get me started with the basics, I then moved to Java which was easy as C/C++ and Java are very close. I actually have both these book next to my computer, although I no longer use them.

I learned C++ and Allegro to start off game programming from the book "All in one Game Programming" and used "Sam's teach yourself C++" book as a reference to get me started with the basics, I then moved to Java which was easy as C/C++ and Java are very close. I actually have both these book next to my computer, although I no longer use them.

Buy the ebook, save trees :)

I started to learn programming in C++, Ivor Horton's and Deitel's book were the ones that i used. Another book which i really enjoyed reading was Code Complete although it is not a beginners book but i felt like it really helped me a lot after i had learned how to program. For game programming i read Aaron Reed's book on Xna and started learning c# along the way which was easy for me since i already knew C++.

[quote name='Gamer Gamester' timestamp='1312920700' post='4846857']
Broady is correct, book recommendations will typically be tied to the programming language. And I don't think the more general and abstract books are much use until you at least know a little of the programming experience.

If you're new to programming, I heavily discourage starting with C++. It might be the best tool for some use cases, but first-time project is not one of these. I recommend Python for beginners. Unfortunately, I can't recommend any beginner Python books (as I wasn't a beginner programmer when I learned it), but I'm sure some others here can help you out.
[/quote]

am mainly looking for a book that will make you a better programmer all together, give you some tips on the best way too look at code and how to study it.

[quote name='RoyalRyan' timestamp='1314721485' post='4855513']

[/quote]

am mainly looking for a book that will make you a better programmer all together, give you some tips on the best way too look at code, how to study it and learn it.

[/quote]

[/quote]

am mainly looking for a book that will make you a better programmer all together, give you some tips on the best way too look at code, how to study it and learn it.

[/quote]
The three in my earlier post I believe are all language agnostic. Pragmatic Programmer definitely is.

[quote name='way2lazy2care' timestamp='1314722957' post='4855518']

[/quote]

[/quote]
The three in my earlier post I believe are all language agnostic. Pragmatic Programmer definitely is.
[/quote]

thanks a lot man going to give these a read for sure.