The Best Books

Started by
13 comments, last by StayFly 12 years, 7 months ago
So I am wondering what are some good books that you have read about computer programming game programming, game design. Just need some helpful tips to get started. Planning on buying a few books off of amazon.

Also post some links if you know any websites that offer a great read in making video games. Stuff that really helped you out a lot when you first start programming and making games. Thanks
Advertisement
Hi RR,
while[color=#1C2837][size=2] game design (and so related books) might be generic, programming and game programming books are generally strictly related to the programming lenguage. In the former case you have to choose a lenguage/environment/ambient.
[color=#1C2837][size=2]

[color=#1C2837][size=2]p.s.
[color="#1c2837"]For Beginners forum is full of topics like your asking for the same questions, just read/search :D
i think the Ivor Hortens Beginning C++ Book is good, havnt actually read all of it, just browsed to what i need to know.

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

Myself i started with a book called "Beginning C++ game programming" from Michael Dawson
The pragmatic programmer is a great general programming book. It's pretty language agnostic and gives a bunch of great tips to make you generally a better programmer.

The pragmatic programmer is a great general programming book. It's pretty language agnostic and gives a bunch of great tips to make you generally a better programmer.

I did a search on amazon for The pragmatic programmer got a lot of hits is there a book by a particular author that stood out to you?

[quote name='way2lazy2care' timestamp='1312898714' post='4846682']

I did a search on amazon for The pragmatic programmer got a lot of hits is there a book by a particular author that stood out to you?
[/quote]

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/020161622X

this one. Apparently there is a deal on it, Code Complete, and Design Patterns if you get all three. I'd score that deal as those are all pretty good books.

edit: jebus if you buy a lot of text books a kindle practically pays for itself D:
Broady is correct, book recommendations will typically be tied to the programming language. And I don't think the more general and abstract books are much use until you at least know a little of the programming experience.

If you're new to programming, I heavily discourage starting with C++. It might be the best tool for some use cases, but first-time project is not one of these. I recommend Python for beginners. Unfortunately, I can't recommend any beginner Python books (as I wasn't a beginner programmer when I learned it), but I'm sure some others here can help you out.
I learned C++ and Allegro to start off game programming from the book "All in one Game Programming" and used "Sam's teach yourself C++" book as a reference to get me started with the basics, I then moved to Java which was easy as C/C++ and Java are very close. I actually have both these book next to my computer, although I no longer use them.

Sprite Creator 3 VX & XP

WARNING: I edit my posts constantly.

I learned C++ and Allegro to start off game programming from the book "All in one Game Programming" and used "Sam's teach yourself C++" book as a reference to get me started with the basics, I then moved to Java which was easy as C/C++ and Java are very close. I actually have both these book next to my computer, although I no longer use them.

Buy the ebook, save trees :)

Sprite Creator 3 VX & XP

WARNING: I edit my posts constantly.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement