Sign in to follow this  
Sawm

c++ CMD help needed.

Sawm    100
I will try and make this brief, so im new to c++ im in love with video games and i have a love for dreaming about video games that don't happen to be on the surface of this planet(sadly). Anyhow like i said i am quite new and for my first "big" project i want to make a CMD rpg , i adjusted the cmd window so it is almost double its initial size ( in height ) , so half of it i want to be the adventure mode where a little ASCII char ( lets say "@" is the char)
roams around a certain magical world, and the other half would be the menus info text ( stats, talk, item, equip, search, ect...) my problem is the window where the char roams around in, I want it too kinda like in pokemon , dragon warior(nes) old school nes final fantasy style where the char is static in the middle of the screen and it is the environment around him that moves. but i haven't quite grasped how they do i get the basic idea but i am missing something was wondering if any one had an idea of a way i could do this.

[code]do{

Map( CurentMap, positionInMapX , positionInMapY );

if ( Move_up()) {
positionInMapY--;
}

}while(1);[/code]

is the basic idea behind it from my point of view but i am missing how to make all this stay in frame , also how would i store these maps? 2 dimentional array? D: anything i should read that would help me understand basic of what i am trying to achieve?

[edit]
I have been wondering also if i would be to want to start with SDL(2d game programming, how much c++ would i need to know to fully understand SDL ? how far into the huge world of c++ can i start learning SDL? any requirements? must know basic stuff i should know before jumping into it or a quiz i could take to see if i am ready? just curious.
[edit]

-Sawm

-p.s sorry my English is pretty bad i know, sorry if this is hard to understand :S i wish i just knew how to do it lol.

mmakrzem    1036
have a look at 3dbuzz.com. there you will find a c++ tutorial series that shows you how to make a command window dos game. if i remember correctly the game is called evil monkeys or something like that

Sawm    100
[quote name='mmakrzem' timestamp='1312909824' post='4846773']
have a look at 3dbuzz.com. there you will find a c++ tutorial series that shows you how to make a command window dos game. if i remember correctly the game is called evil monkeys or something like that
[/quote]

thanks! :) but sadly enough i cant watch videos :S i have pretty short bandwidth and im kinda ehh poor? :S cant aford another 50$ worth of bandwidth on my bills :( i really wish i could but hey! maybe i can find a written tutorial about that series of video , also what is it i am looking for? ( not about the evil monkeys game) i mean whats the name ? i am trying to do research but its hard considering i don't know what i am looking for ;( don't know if you understand what i mean, i really hope some one does this is really the only thing i can see myself doing in this world that insist depressing ;3 ANYWAYS ! im off to learn stuff in the meanwhile ;o

-sawm

mmakrzem    1036
Have a look here: [url="http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms686974(v=vs.85).aspx"]http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms686974(v=vs.85).aspx[/url]

You can control the output to the console window with calls like SetConsoleCursorPosition, WriteConsole, FillConsoleOutputCharacter etc