Sign in to follow this  
RojanShrestha

DirectX or A Game Engine?

RojanShrestha    124
[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Ok!! so I finally switched to c++ from c# and I'm comfortable with all the OOP techniques in c++. Now, I was wondering if I should learn DirectX 11 (since I have a DX11 supporting hardware) or should I go for a game engine that has already been built. I want to build a good portfolio so that I can enter the game industry but I have no idea which one will be better suited. Also, I have got some experience with Managed DirectX in c# but did not end up making any games with it.[/font]

mmakrzem    1036
[quote name='newbie_gamer' timestamp='1312907819' post='4846762']
[font="verdana, geneva, lucida,"]Ok!! so I finally switched to c++ from c# and I'm comfortable with all the OOP techniques in c++. Now, I was wondering if I should learn DirectX 11 (since I have a DX11 supporting hardware) or should I go for a game engine that has already been built. I want to build a good portfolio so that I can enter the game industry but I have no idea which one will be better suited. Also, I have got some experience with Managed DirectX in c# but did not end up making any games with it.[/font]
[/quote]

since you haven't made any games yourself yet, you'll find it easier and quicker to develop something to put into a portfolio if you use a game engine like Unity rather than building one yourself from scratch.

NightCreature83    5002
That depends what role you want on the team, if you like game play more I'd say go with a game engine and write some games that have some really cool mechanics. If you want a graphics/system position engine design and optimisation techniques as well as graphics knowledge become more important.

Pick something you like to do and then make a demo with it, if you are not interested in a systems job I would pick a game engine and write something awesome in the field you want to be in.

JosephParrilla    171
Yeah what they said. It depends what you want to do. If you want to write tech, write tech. If you want to create full featured games, use an engine. It depends where you see yourself. If you want to be a graphics programmer, having a portfolio of Unity games means nothing... you need to show that you understand the graphics hardware and the low level APIs that are needed to interact with it. If you want to be a level designer, make some levels in an engines world editor. If you want to be a general gameplay programmer, create cool gameplay in an engine. ETC ETC

By the way, you dont need to use a fully featured GUI based tool like Unity if you want an engine. There are other engines that do less for you and arent centered around a GUI. C++ has the source engine for instance. Unity never really appealed to me because of its super robust nature.