Sign in to follow this  

dinput7 replacement

This topic is 2317 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello guys,

I want to introduce my (first) GPL project. It's a tiny dinput.dll replacement for old games, using DI mouse input. With this DLL, old games can be feeded with RawInput API mouse data. Current version tested on Alien versus Predator 2. Sorry for my bad english. ;P Best regards.

URL: [url="http://code.google.com/p/di-wrapper/"]di-wrapper[/url]

[quote name='mrnuku' timestamp='1312909582' post='4846768']
Hello guys,

I want to introduce my (first) GPL project. It's a tiny dinput.dll replacement for old games, using DI mouse input. With this DLL, old games can be feeded with RawInput API mouse data. Current version tested on Alien versus Predator 2. Sorry for my bad english. ;P Best regards.

[/quote]

looks nice, personally i'm not a big fan of the GPL for libraries though, (i prefer more permissive licenses for code that is meant to be included in other applications rather than modified and built on)

[quote name='SimonForsman' timestamp='1312918159' post='4846836']
[quote name='mrnuku' timestamp='1312909582' post='4846768']
Hello guys,

[/quote]

looks nice, personally i'm not a big fan of the GPL for libraries though, (i prefer more permissive licenses for code that is meant to be included in other applications rather than modified and built on)
[/quote]
Can i ask what kind of license you mean ?

[quote name='mhagain' timestamp='1312921419' post='4846863']
I think as a DLL the GPL should be OK under the system library exception; would potentially be different if it was statically linked though.
[/quote]

No it wouldn't, the system library exception applies to libraries which are included with the platform and exists so that GPL software can link against libraries such as DirectX or Win32, not the other way around.

If you want to allow non GPL software to link dynamically against your library you should use the LGPL rather than the GPL.

[quote name='SimonForsman' timestamp='1312941665' post='4846991']
[quote name='mhagain' timestamp='1312921419' post='4846863']
I think as a DLL the GPL should be OK under the system library exception; would potentially be different if it was statically linked though.
[/quote]

No it wouldn't, the system library exception applies to libraries which are included with the platform and exists so that GPL software can link against libraries such as DirectX or Win32, not the other way around.

If you want to allow non GPL software to link dynamically against your library you should use the LGPL rather than the GPL.
[/quote]

I switched to LGPL. Thank you for help.

This topic is 2317 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.