Sign in to follow this  
howie_007

Right handed vs Left handed

DirectX defaults to left handed. Most modeling packages are right handed. I know I can convert the data from these modeling packages.

Is there any reason to NOT run DirectX as right handed? I'm just wondering.

DirectX doesn't default to any handedness, it's just that most examples (including SDK samples) you see use LH, but that's a historical artefact more so than anything else. Handedness is nothing more than a convention, and the only important thing is that you maintain consistency in your own code regarding which handedness you use. Otherwise a projection matrix is nothing but a bunch of numbers; you multiply them and an answer comes out. So you can quite safely use the -RH matrix functions (or roll your own RH functions) and everything will still work.

Hidden
Yeah it doesn't matter what you use, as long as when you project vertex coordinates they end up in the correct device coordinate space (x=-1 is the left side of the screen, x=1 is the right, y=1 is the top, y=-1 is the bottom, 0 is the near clip plane, 1 is the far clip plane). To do that you may need to have a projection matrix that negates an axis, which is exactly what the D3DX RH projection matrix functions do.