I wonder if this would be good to learn from

Started by
1 comment, last by Tempest 22 years, 7 months ago
I came across a tool used by Sierra to create the early King's quest games and such (AGI). I did some studying and it looks pretty cool what you can do with it to create games and stuff. I just wonder if this would be something useful to learn from. I mean, sure it's quite a bit outdated, but being able to study code and alter it and manipulate sprites, or completely just start from scratch and do your own thing seems like it would be good for learning. Or would it be best just to stick with learning the more modern methods of developement? Thanks Edited by - tempest on September 19, 2001 7:28:56 PM
Advertisement
Modern techniques are great, but what you are talking about is actually a better learning technique than you think. This will get you more familiar with game programming than trying to build terrain or something similar, taking forever and not being able to get much out of it. Nothing against any type of game. I think that if you find well documented code released from a large 3d game, it may be good to change certain things and see results.

By the way, I think I know what games you are talking about. They are actually quite fun and I would even play them still.
I agree with you on that. The first King''s quest was the first computer game I ever played when I bought my first computer many years ago. And the series remains one of my all time favorites.

About the well documented code you spoke of, do you have something in mind you would suggest or would you be able to point out a good place to look. I know there has to be many places to go to get these types of things, but just wondering if there is one I should especially look for. Even if it isn''t 3D, it would suit my purpose well enough.

Thank you

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement