Sign in to follow this  
broady

Generally in a phone interview....

broady    119
what are they going to ask? Technical stuff too? This is my first interview. I applyed for programming/testing (an informal mail) so have no idea even about topics we are going to speak.

Thanks

Telastyn    3777
They will often ask about background, sometimes availability. For a developer position, you're almost certainly going to get asked some softball technical questions to make sure it isn't a waste of time to schedule an interview. Some places might get more in-depth/challenging.

This assumes you're talking about a phone screen (used to thin out the number of candidates who are scheduled interviews) not an actual interview by phone (which tends to be rare unless you're a remote worker or moving and as such aren't local to the interviewers).

Sneftel    1788
It's common for the first phone screen to be a non-technical one with an HR rep. They'll briefly discuss your interests, background, skills, salary requirements, and availability. The primary purpose is to weed out the people who are utterly unqualified for the position.

A technical phone screen is generally rapid-fire questions -- what's the size of a 'double', how does virtual function binding work, what's the cross product, that sort of thing. It's likewise a method for weeding out unqualified people before the real interview, in particular the ones who lied to the HR rep about their skills. Fairly basic stuff, mostly. If there's something you don't know the answer to, say what you can, but don't dwell on it by audibly agonizing about the tip of your tongue.

broady    119
Thanks to both of you for your reply. I can be asked abou everything ok.

Sometime you say an applicant can be asked for more technical stuff on topics about the position the applied for. This of course sounds logical. The problem is i don't khnow what position i applied for [img]http://public.gamedev.net/public/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif[/img] Can sound wired but that's the fact.

As programmer and gamer i feel i can enjoy both programming and testing roles if the enviroment and working team are good.

broady    119
[quote name='Telastyn' timestamp='1312998027' post='4847251']
This assumes you're talking about a phone screen (used to thin out the number of candidates who are scheduled interviews) not an actual interview by phone (which tends to be rare unless you're a remote worker or moving and as such aren't local to the interviewers).
[/quote]
Just to clarify, ehe interview will be a phone interview as i am not local to 'em.

broady    119
[quote name='Orymus' timestamp='1313093667' post='4847882']
So what did you exactly apply to?
What was their actual reply when they wanted to schedule the interview?
[/quote]

Well i have been told the ppl i am going to speak. Looked for em' on the web... it's a programming position.

loom_weaver    321
[quote name='frob' timestamp='1313007136' post='4847295']
Always remember that the hiring process is EXCLUSIONARY, they are not trying to look for good things. They are trying to find reasons to get you out of the applicant pool.
[/quote]

This x2.

Just make sure you're awake and alert for the interview. I would suggest shaving and dressing in decent clothes even for a phone interview as it helps prepare you to be in the right frame of mind.

Make sure you have everything regarding your application handy. There will be questions about your resume and cover letter.

Try to answer or call in on a land-line. Dropped calls or static won't help your case.

Have a pencil and notepad nearby and try to get the names and correct spelling of people before hand. If you're unsure then ask! You don't want to be flubbing up people's names.

Finally, keep the computer far away. It's pretty obvious that someone is trying to google stuff during phone interview.

Good luck.

broady    119
To complete the thread.
The phone onterview went good. After 1 month i was in their place (they payed out the flight and the hotel). This time was an informal thing just to meet by person and have a tour in the office. Later they asked me, when i was back to home, to do a test job. I did it amd sent the results. 2 days ago i recieved an offer :-) now i am thinking about it but i feel like i am going to accept.

Bye!