Beginning an Open World GTA Styled game

Started by
4 comments, last by lukeymoo 12 years, 8 months ago
Hello all, a few months ago I got an idea to design a GTA styled game based on my area. I have previous game making experience, not as much with 3D games thought. So over these past few months, I began to collect information about the area such as maps, Satellite screenshots, what cars are popular around, even went as far as encountering random people to get a better feel for the populace. It's been about three months, and I'm ready to begin getting to work. I'm willing to dedicate the next few months of my life, up to the next few years, just for this experience. I have also started searching for a team, to help bring this dream to life. If anyone on this Forum can help send me in the right direction, such as what engine would be best for this, how to begin, any of that, please do.

Many thanks

EDIT: As well as anyone interested in being a part of such. Anyone experienced is welcome to help plan.
Advertisement
This should be posted in the Help Wanted section...

As for how to start, these kinds of games always start with 3D modelling the scenes in an external program, and the displaying your neighborhood in your game. After that you can add a bunch of other functionality. You should chose an engine though as it will do most of the things for you. Have a look at UDK, sounds like that is what you should be looking for.

PS. Like my post if I helped!
Thanks for the info! Also sorry if this is posted in the wrong section. As for the engine, I'll take a look at UDK. I was looking into Torque 3D, if you know anything about that please let me know.

Also, as for the map size, I know that I'm going to run into some problems with a giant open world game and loading. So if anyone could tell me if it would be beneficial to build it as Vice City was built? Where each Island or Area was loaded separately when the bridge between was crossed.

Again thanks, I plan on going somewhere with this.
If anyone on this Forum can help send me in the right direction, such as what engine would be best for this, how to begin, any of that, please do.

This should be posted in the Help Wanted section...

In the quoted part above, he was only asking for suggestions what engine to use. Perfectly OK for this forum.

EDIT: As well as anyone interested in being a part of such. Anyone experienced is welcome to help plan.

In THAT part of the post, though, MP has stepped over the line into Help Wanted. MP, please don't post HW here. Use the Help Wanted forum to recruit people.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

In THAT part of the post, though, MP has stepped over the line into Help Wanted. MP, please don't post HW here. Use the Help Wanted forum to recruit people.[/quote]

Understood. When it comes time for that it'll be posted in that section
I really want to see this project take action, but I've tried openGL and got lost in it. If you are not familiar with 3d Programming I suggest getting a game engine so that you don't have to do lot's of engine work. Btw, if you have time, you should go ahead and learn openGL and when you really believe your ready, go ahead and start programming and recruiting. Just like wiz3kid said, models are generally made in an external program like Maya.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement