Sign in to follow this  
Avenyr

XNA Keyboard Key tracking issue

Avenyr    230
I've stumbled upon an odd behavior a few minutes ago.

to make sure it wasn't my code. I created a brand new XNA project and put this code in my update method and a break point inside the If.

[code]
KeyboardState keyboard = Keyboard.GetState();

if (keyboard.IsKeyDown(Keys.A) && keyboard.IsKeyDown(Keys.W) && keyboard.IsKeyDown(Keys.Space))
{

}
[/code]

When I press A + W + Space. the breakpoint is never reached.

Any other combination of keys so far seems to work. Is there any reason why that would be? Would it be Windows / Windows 7 related? perhaps the way my keyboard handles interrupts?

*Edit*

Apparently, My Logitech Wireless Keyboard that I use with my MacBook Proi s unable to process those 3 keys at the same time. I tried using the MacBook Pro's keyboard instead and it works.

What could that be ?

Thanks for the info

Flimflam    665
This is a hardware limitation with most keyboards. Many keys share the same circuits with each other, so it doesn't require a dedicated wire for each key. When you press too many keys on the same circuit, the keyboard can no longer distinguish the pressed keys.

It's usually a good idea not to require more than 2 pressed keys at a time, and if you absolutely have to require more, try to require keys that are not close together.

Avenyr    230
[quote name='Flimflam' timestamp='1313029415' post='4847460']
This is a hardware limitation with most keyboards. Many keys share the same circuits with each other, so it doesn't require a dedicated wire for each key. When you press too many keys on the same circuit, the keyboard can no longer distinguish the pressed keys.

It's usually a good idea not to require more than 2 pressed keys at a time, and if you absolutely have to require more, try to require keys that are not close together.
[/quote]

Further investigation on that topic does confirm what you said. So in the end, it's not a good idea to rely on multiple key presses.

My issue is that I currently use ASDW for my character controls. I since then switched the control to the keyboard arrows to fix my issue. Luckily I won't have this issue when testing on the xbox.

Thanks for the help!