Best way to cull unnecessary polygons?

Started by
2 comments, last by robotech_er 12 years, 8 months ago
Hi. I have my BSP engine up and rendering with vertices being sent through vertex arrays. I am however wondering what is the current standard or tried and true method for determining which polygons need to be drawn. Does anyone have a link to an article/example?

Thank you.
Advertisement

Hi. I have my BSP engine up and rendering with vertices being sent through vertex arrays. I am however wondering what is the current standard or tried and true method for determining which polygons need to be drawn. Does anyone have a link to an article/example?

Thank you.

compared to frustum culling and backface culling, occlusion culling is very difficult. AFAIK,the most effective oc method now is CHC++,but it is not easy to impletment, you can google it.
compared to frustum culling and backface culling, occlusion culling is very difficult. AFAIK,the most effective oc method now is CHC++,but it is not easy to impletment, you can google it.
I see CHC++ mentioned from time to time, but I don't know of any games that actually use it.

If you're using a static BSP, then the tried and true partner is a PVS table.

I see CHC++ mentioned from time to time, but I don't know of any games that actually use it.

If you're using a static BSP, then the tried and true partner is a PVS table.

i think CHC++ is the most elegant and practical academic algorithm so far, and it is most suitable for large sacle scenes(seems all the outdoor oc method aim for large scene). there is no perfect outdoor oc method, but this is the nearest one.

pvs is cute, but intangible when cope with large scene, where it require tremendous space to store visibility data so as to sometimes you have to compress the data.

i know cryengine takes oc, do you know what is it?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement