Sign in to follow this  

Allegro - Printing X & Y coordinates to the screen

This topic is 2306 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello forum, right now I'm challenging myself to make a good allegro basic circle movement without any tutorials .
So there is one thing that I want to implement into my code and that is, printing the x and y coordinates to the screen. For multiple purposes .

I tried the textout but I really don't know how to make the program print the variable , here is what I tried.

[code]

textout(buffer, font, "this is x" << x , "this is y" << y , 0, 0, makecol(0, 250, 30) , -1);

[/code]

[quote name='vaironl' timestamp='1313026566' post='4847439']
I tried the textout but I really don't know how to make the program print the variable , here is what I tried.
[code]
textout(buffer, font, "this is x" << x , "this is y" << y , 0, 0, makecol(0, 250, 30) , -1);
1--^ 2--^ (3) 4--^ 5-^
[/code]
[/quote]

1) A c-string isn't a stream. In C and C++, one cannot concatenate strings natively. One must either use strcat/sprintf (C) or stringstreams (C++)
2) The comma operator separates parameters, this means the compiler is expecting an integer for (3)
3) The compiler expects an integer for the fourth parameter
4) A c-string isn't a stream.
5) Because of the extra parameter at (2), this is treated as an extra parameter.

What you want to do is use stringstreams:

[code]
#include <sstream>

stringstream ss;
ss << "x=" << x << ", " << "y=" << y;
string temp = ss.str();
textout( buffer, font, temp.c_str(), 0, 0, makecol( 0, 250, 30 ), -1 );
[/code]

This topic is 2306 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.