Game Maker vs Coding Yourself

Started by
4 comments, last by CaseyHardman 12 years, 8 months ago
Ok so there's this program called Game Maker and basically allows you to make a game without coding. This is obviously practical for people who don't know how to program/code. But is it better than programming? Especially when you are making 2D games?
Basically my question is, is there any difference between game maker and coding other than the direct implementation of the game in game maker, or is coding more efficient and powerful?
Advertisement

Ok so there's this program called Game Maker and basically allows you to make a game without coding. This is obviously practical for people who don't know how to program/code. But is it better than programming? Especially when you are making 2D games?
Basically my question is, is there any difference between game maker and coding other than the direct implementation of the game in game maker, or is coding more efficient and powerful?

Generally coding your own will be fairly more customizable. That's generally the trade off you make with any engine. You can customize it for performance, ease of use, or whatever when you do it yourself. If you use someone else's technology, you have to make sure their goals for their product are in line with the goals you have.
1. is it better than programming?
2. is coding more efficient and powerful?

1. No, and yes (depending on your criteria). GameMaker is the better choice, if you don't know how to program and you want to learn a lot about game making. But it's not the better choice, if you know how to program and have the time, and have the ability to get your assets made.
2. Yes. GameMaker is like a jigsaw puzzle. Coding is like a roll of canvas, some lumber, some paints, and some brushes.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Great responses guys. Thanks a lot.
Tom Sloper basically summed it all up for you.
Game maker is limited to an extent on customization, but I'm sure you could probably get some really, really, interactive game-play with it, however, C++ is basically giving you the power to do whatever a PC can do, taking into account your skills as well. And plus C++ is faster and more efficient in terms of processing.
When I used Game Maker, I preferred GML (Game Maker Language) much more than the drag-and-drop interface because it seemed to be faster. It also helped me later when I got into different languages because I had some knowledge of general coding syntax, such as variables, arrays, for loops, ifs, functions, and so on.

[twitter]Casey_Hardman[/twitter]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement