Sign in to follow this  
Pok

Hey guys, I'm REALLY new to this.

Hey everybody, I just joined the forums a little while ago, hoping to become a regular and get to know people.
But, I honestly don't know much about developing games, I'm 14, and games has been part of my life and still is and I want to learn more about creating games, coding, art and all the stuff involved in, I'm pretty stupid when it comes to knowledge about game development currently... But I'm willing to learn.
At the moment i'm on a MacBook, so I'm not sure what programmes would be best for me, although I do have access to a Windows 7 Computer but not all the time.

So, I was just wondering if somebody could start me off in the right direction to get this rolling, any help/info/tips would be amazing!

Well it all depends of what you are intrested of.. Myself i like programming so if you want that i would recomend getting a book or reading on the web about C++ and get some knowledge in that field.. I think for Mac there is an compiler or IDE called Xcode or sometthing that you should use if you want programming.

Just so you know.. This question gets asked every day on this forum.. I recomend next time use the Search function for the forum.

I'll have a look into different parts and see what interests me! ^-^ Thanks.

Yeah sorry, I was really hesitant and didn't check other posts or anything for more information. D:

I would not suggest you to learn C++ as it is very complicated especially for a guy at your age, also it is unnessecary and might scare you away.

If you could use Windows OS then I would suggest you to pick up a book on C# game programming. It is very powerful and you could develop games for desktop, web, phone and so on, all with one programming language. Other then that, Java is pretty easy and so is Python if you want to learn a language.

GameMaker another powerful game creation tool, however, I am not very familiar with it and Im not sure how well it behaves on a Mac.

Other suggestions are - start small, throw away your MMORPG creating ideas(if you have them) and try to get very familiar with Google as it will be one of the most valuable tool in your future as a developer.

Oh didn't see that you said that you was 14 years old :D

Maybe as Gasoline posted above you should try something easier than C++, In that case i would recomend Java.. Thats what i started with.

Read this:

http://gamefromscratch.com/post/2011/08/04/I-want-to-be-a-game-developer.aspx

I wrote it specifically to answer this question.

Yeah at 14 you should start with something like a Basic, play around a bit, and before you feel you have really got a mastery of it, that is the time to look for another language, which one will become clearer as you go, it depends on you.The main thing I can impart to you is that we are ALL still learning, or else we are lepers. Your journey of discovery will never end, it will simply change directions along the way :) (25 years in asm, one year in c++, and I started with some kind of basic..)

Also, there is a "For Beginners" Forum FAQ link at the top of this page. It provides useful information on where to start and tips on getting the most out of the forum here.

To be honest I really don't think age is a factor. If anything a 14 year old should thrive at programming simply due to having the time available to dedicate to it. Until he gets to some of the higher end mathematics there is really nothing involved in programming that a 14 year old hasn't been prepared for.

This is especially true these days, I would have killed to have something like XNA available when I was 14 to say nothing of all the books and information available on the internet!

I started learning C++ basics at around 12, learned some VB6 at 11 or so. So, don't let age put you down. C++ was my first language that I really liked, though VB6 was fun too., and I have gotten a hold of it pretty well. But it is a good idea to start of with something, not so complicated, like stated above.

But honestly if you want to learn C++, go for it. Passion and desire is what powered me through it.

But if you just want to test some things out, and probably get programming games FASTER than I suggest python or C#.

[quote name='Serapth' timestamp='1313062819' post='4847626']
Read this:

[url="http://gamefromscratch.com/post/2011/08/04/I-want-to-be-a-game-developer.aspx"]http://gamefromscrat...-developer.aspx[/url]

[/quote]

Serapth that was a fantastic read, that you for that.

[quote name='yewbie' timestamp='1313101330' post='4847970']
[quote name='Serapth' timestamp='1313062819' post='4847626']
Read this:

[url="http://gamefromscratch.com/post/2011/08/04/I-want-to-be-a-game-developer.aspx"]http://gamefromscrat...-developer.aspx[/url]

[/quote]

Serapth that was a fantastic read, that you for that.
[/quote]

You're welcome, glad you enjoyed it.