Sign in to follow this  
omkohmann

Programming graphics for games references?

omkohmann    100
Hi,

Ive been doing programming for 3 years in school now. I have the last year focused my programming topics towards game programming. I have gone through topics like SDL, OGL, GLSL and basic game programming topics. I have also gone a 3d android game engine and a simple 2d engine using sdl & OGL.

My last topic was GLSL and we learnt how to create basic shaders up to geometry shaders. I have a acceptable understanding of linear algebra :)

My problem is: None of the books I have used talks about these topics in relation to games! For instance: There is no topic discussing how to implement shaders into a game, I assume u need more than one shader :P
I started trying to create my own "engine" of sorts this summer and quickly realised how many decisions I couldnt take, because I didnt know how to implement several things.
I have been using the book "Game engine architecture" and I quickly came to a halt when starting to think about how to render the world. I wanted to take my current knowledge and tie it up together to get a better understanding of games. I dont expect it to be a super fancy engine, but I wanted to push my learning to the max and I especially wanted to learn more about how to implement shaders into a realtime game engine.

So my question is: Are there any books out there, that covers the topics that I am after? I mean stuff like: bin/quad/oct-trees, shader permutations, shader trees, ubershader, scenegraphs, +++
Basically: The stuff AROUND the shaders/graphics.

Current books I own: red/blue/orange book, "Core Techniques and Algorithms in Game programming", "Game coding Complete", "Game Engine Architecture", "Video Game optimization", "Essential Mathematics for games & interactive applications".

I have not gone through them all in detail, as I feel that I am currently in limbo somewhere between the beginner books and intermediate books.

Digitalfragment    1504
[quote name='olemk' timestamp='1313055921' post='4847581']
So my question is: Are there any books out there, that covers the topics that I am after? I mean stuff like: bin/quad/oct-trees, shader permutations, shader trees, ubershader, scenegraphs, +++
Basically: The stuff AROUND the shaders/graphics.
[/quote]

The CPU Gems series (quite old now) covers a lot of topics around scenegraphs/spatial subdivision. The GPU Gems & Shader X books cover the rest. The table of contents for each of the books should be easy to find via google.

omkohmann    100
Thank you for the reply :)

I did some searching on the internet and I couldnt manage to find any cpu gem books, am I using the wrong word? Do you have a link for any of those books on amazon for instance?

Narishma    119
[quote name='olemk' timestamp='1313161283' post='4848243']
Thank you for the reply :)

I did some searching on the internet and I couldnt manage to find any cpu gem books, am I using the wrong word? Do you have a link for any of those books on amazon for instance?
[/quote]

They're called Game Programming Gems, not CPU gems.

allingm    539
Hey olemk,

I think the best thing you can do is simply make a game. You don't need to make anything super complicated (or even complicated at all for that matter), but doing so will vastly increase your knowledge. As you work on the game you will realize you need help to solve certain problems. You can find that help here, in the books suggest, or through Google. Also, if you are looking for a job in the games industry later, a game project will help immensely.

Also, the ShaderX series has ended and the author has moved onto the GPU Pro series.