• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Muftobration

OpenGL OpenGL 3 on a 2.1 device

This topic is 2528 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have searched, but nobody seems to be asking this question, nor have I found an answer. Is it possible to run a program containing OpenGL 3 code on a machine that only supports up to 2.1? I would be most interested in some sort of software that wraps around the program and simulates any calls that the hardware cannot handle.

I'm doing some OpenGL 3 development on my X201 and the intel graphics cannot correctly run many of the examples in the OpenGL SuperBible, 5th edition (see attached screen shot, which is supposed to depict a sphere). These examples work correctly on my GTX 460. If it were possible to get a small expresscard slot graphics adapter that provided support for OpenGL 3, that would be excellent, but I don't think such a device exists (besides the ViDock, which is not practical on the go).

OpenGL21failure.png

Advertisement
If your driver doesn;t support it then you can't do it. The software option is not really an option - the only real software implementation is Mesa3D, that only goes up to OpenGL 2.1, and in any event if any parts of the fragment pipeline get software emulated you typically end up with less that 1 frame per second.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!