Sign in to follow this  
CodeStorm

Unity Obtaining the type of elements within a vector of vectors.

[size="2"][color="black"][font="Arial"][size="2"]Lately, I've been making use of std::vector's'value_type' typedefs in function parameters, so that code written thus;

[code]
template<typename TypeA, typename TypeB>
void Foo
(
const TypeA & A,
const TypeB & B
)
{
}
[/code]

can be rewritten as;

[code]
template<typename Type>
void Foo
(
const Type & A,
typename Type::value_type b
)
{
}
[/code]

for types that deploy the 'value_type' typedef. However, when it comes onto types that are vectors of vectors then code like this;

[code]
template<typename Type>
void Foo
(
const Type & A,
typename Type::value_type::size_type b
)
{
}
[/code]

compiles without any issues, where as the following code;

[code]
template<typename Type>
void Foo
(
const Type & A,
typename Type::value_type::value_type b
)
{
}
[/code]

does not. When nesting value_type like this, my MSV C++ 2010 Express compiler comes up with:

error C2893: Failed to specialize function template 'void Foo(const Type&,Type::value_type::{ctor})

There are obvious work arounds regarding this problem (like simply using another type parameter in the template), but I would just like to know why one type of nesting works and not the other.

And besides... Template programming is a bit of a chink in my C++ armour at the moment, so any opportunity to gain a heads up would be much appreciated![/size][/font][/color]

[/size]

I don't know why it doesn't work for you. This code works for me
[code]#include <vector>

template<typename Type>
void Foo
(
const Type & A,
typename Type::value_type::value_type b
)
{
}

int main()
{
std::vector<std::vector<int> > v;
Foo(v, 4);
}[/code]

I also checked and it works with gcc 4.4.3 and intel 12.0.2.
[code]
#include <iostream>
#include <vector>

template<class V>
void foo(const V &v, typename V::value_type::value_type b)
{
std::cout << b << std::endl;
}

int main(int argc, char *arvg[])
{

std::vector<std::vector<int> > vec;
foo(vec, 45);

return 0;
}
[/code]

Does this work? (just guessing)
[code]
template <class T>
struct funky_workaround { typedef typename T::value_type value_type; };

template<class V>
void foo(const V &v, typename funky_workaround<typename V::value_type>::value_type b)
{
std::cout << b << std::endl;
}
[/code]

Yeah... Checked and rechecked my code again. Still no joy!

I even used your version Wooh just to make sure... And it still won't compile...

But thanks japro! That funky work around of yours did do the trick... But it sure is... errr... funky LOL!

In any case, the fact that my "bugged" code compiles for some of you indicates that something might not be right with my compiler (that or it needs upgrading).

Anyway, thanks for replies ;-)

BTW Wooh... Just out of curiosity, what compiler are you using?

[quote name='CodeStorm' timestamp='1313107340' post='4848014']BTW Wooh... Just out of curiosity, what compiler are you using?[/quote]
gcc 4.2.4

[quote name='Wooh' timestamp='1313108512' post='4848018']
[quote name='CodeStorm' timestamp='1313107340' post='4848014']BTW Wooh... Just out of curiosity, what compiler are you using?[/quote]
gcc 4.2.4
[/quote]

LOL! Thanks... Yeah that figures I guess...

Just been checking out MS Connect which apparently has a few people with issues regarding [font=Verdana][size=2][b]C2893[/b][/size][/font].

So it seems MSV C++ Express 2010 still has a few bugs in it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Partner Spotlight

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Similar Content

• By STRATUM the Game
      Hey, everyone! This is my first post here.
      I would like to know what you think about my project called STRATUM. It's a 2D platformer that is heavily based on storytelling and boss fighting while trekking through the world.

Everything in STRATUM takes place in the first century AD, in a world that wraps our own universe, called  The Stratum. A parallel Universe that is the home of the Christian deities . In this game you will play as a Dacian warrior, unfamiliar with everything in this world, you’ll get to know and understand The Stratum together with him.
      The main thing that I want with STRATUM is to reinvent the known lore and history of the Christian deities and realms. 
      The story is unconventional, it plays down a lot of the mysticism of Hell or Heaven and it gives it a more rational view while keeping the fantastic in it. What do I mean by that? Well, think about Hell. What do you know about it? It's a bad place where bad people go, right? Well, that's not the case in STRATUM. I don't want to describe such a world. In STRATUM, there is a reason for everything, especially for the way Hell is what it is in the game. "Hell" is called The Black Stratum in the game.
      This world is not very different from Earth, but it is governed by different natural laws.
      The story will also involve the reason why this world entered in touch with ours.

What do you think about all that I said? Would you be interested in such a game? I have to say that everything is just a work of fiction made with my imagination. I do not want to offend anyone's beliefs.
      I want this to be a one man game. I have been working alone on it (this was my decision from the beginning) from art to effects to programming to music to sound effects to everything.
      I also have a youtube video HERE if you want to see the way the game moves and the way my music sounds.
      Please, any kind of feedback will be highly appreciated. If you have something bad to say, do it, don't keep it for yourself only. I want to hear anything that you don't like about my project.

• By LimeJuice
      Hi, it's my first post on this forum and I would like to share the game I am working on at the moment.
      Graphics have been made with Blender3D using Cycle as a renderer and I am using Unity3D. It's a 2D game, one touch side-scrolling game for iOS and Android.
      Here some pictures, and you can have a look to the gameplay on this video :
      Feedbacks ?
      And if you want to try it, send me your email and I will add you to the beta tester list!

• By Kirill Kot
      An adventure indie game with quests in a beautiful, bright world. Characters with unique traits, goals, and benefits. Active gameplay will appeal to players found of interactivity, especially lovers of quests and investigations.
      Available on:
      Gameroom (just open the web page and relax)
      AppStore
      GooglePlay
      WindowsPhone

• By Kirill Kot
      Big Quest: Bequest. An adventure indie game with quests in a beautiful, bright world. Characters with unique traits, goals, and benefits.
      Mobile game, now available on Gameroom. Just open the web page and relax.
    • By Kirill Kot
      Big Quest: Bequest. An adventure indie game with quests in a beautiful, bright world. Characters with unique traits, goals, and benefits.
      Mobile game, now available on Gameroom. Just open the web page and relax.
  • Popular Now