Sign in to follow this  
lili_simling

How do you improve your network performance?

Does anyone here use any in-game compressors which can release more bandwidth for your games? I am developing a mobile game which loads really slow through mobile network.

Somebody mentioned bitsmart to me and said it is a commercial compression code, which give very impressive compression rate with barely CPU hit. I am seriously comparing this one with ziplib and other ones. Since I am new to game developing field, I wanna hear some advice from you guys. Here is the website of bitsmart: http://bitsmartsdk.com/ .

Any helps and advices would be appreciated. Thank you.

[quote name='li_il' timestamp='1313104513' post='4847996']
Does anyone here use any in-game compressors which can release more bandwidth for your games? I am developing a mobile game which loads really slow through mobile network.
[/quote]

Are you talking about loading times, as in loading textures and meshes and game levels?
If so, you typically want to pre-load the first level with the installer for the game, and then download all the other levels in the background while the first level is being played.
You also want to pre-bake the data in the levels so that it's in the best format for the phone (which might be some special compressed texture format and a fixed-point vertex format).
On top of that, you can use various compression algorithms. I like the compression ratio of 7zip, and there are open source, free-license libraries to compress and decompress that format for many languages.

Or are you talking about the network data needed per dynamic entity for a multi-player client/server game? If so, compression should only be a last resort; you generally want to change your networking model to use implicit and referenced models, so you only need to send a little bit of data per entity or update.