Could you guys please provide some constructive critism for my first flash game :)

Started by
9 comments, last by bloodisblue 12 years, 8 months ago
http://www.kongregate.com/games/hardman/letter-dash

Thank you :D
Advertisement
A few issues I had:

On my third time through, it seemed to get stuck, and I just didn't ever get game over, even though there were loads of letters, and I was missing >90% of them each time.

The key detection is a bit weird. If I type consecutive letters too fast, it doesn't seem to recognise that I've pressed all the keys I have.

A few issues I had:

On my third time through, it seemed to get stuck, and I just didn't ever get game over, even though there were loads of letters, and I was missing >90% of them each time.

The key detection is a bit weird. If I type consecutive letters too fast, it doesn't seem to recognise that I've pressed all the keys I have.

Oh i just picked that up thanks :/ How about the design/layout/ actual gameplay?
Great game!!! My notes:

• Sometimes the game doesn't end when I get 4 X's in the upper left corner - it just keeps adding more Xs.
  • The letters often overlap, making them almost impossible to read. Having them bounce back down from varying heights makes them separate when they bounce, but it would be better if they were separate from the start.
  • Related to the above, I think it would be better if the letters collided with each other and bounced without overlapping.
  • The highest I got was around 17600, but I don't know how that compares with others... Make a highscore list maybe?
  • The continue button has to be clicked by mouse. Currently there is no other option so pressing Enter should have the same effect.
  • For the design/layout, I'm not sure what you mean. The interface is already as simple as it should be already.
  • Try to reduce the probability of a letter being used more than once in the same wave.
  • Random thought useless to you, but this would make an awesome minigame for "hacking" activities in large games. With a more complex interface it would give the feeling that the player is actually doing real hacking...
  • I'm going back to play some more. Excuse me.
Thanks guys! I made some changes can you rerate please?
http://www.kongregate.com/games/hardman/letter-dash?acomplete=letter+dash
Alright...

The difficulty needs a bit of tweaking. The game begins slow and easy but remains slow and easy for a bit too long. Then when it gets harder, it gets too hard too quickly. So it's either too easy or too hard. The time that the difficulty is "just right" is too short in comparison. I understand this particular issue depends heavily on one's abilities and taste, but that's what I think.

Replace the X for mistakes with a different symbol... a red circle maybe. Personal preference.

I liked the appearance of the colors better when they were blue and glowing. Again, personal preference.

I was going to suggest some sort of effect for letters when they disappear after being typed, it's good to see you added one, but what you have right now is kinda distracting and "too much". Go for something simpler. I suggest changing the color, stopping its motion, and blurring it away (blur gradually and reduce opacity to 0 over the span of, say, 200ms). Again, personal preference.

I pressed the arrow keys when I was presented with the "continue" screen, and things went haywire.

Keep up the good work :thumb: !

if you click on the 1st screen then start typing you can loose the game before you started.
maybe set the "letter dash" textfield selectable property to false. (maybe all the textfields come to think about it)

nice mechanic though! good effort biggrin.gif
You definitely must replace those X's with something else:

The game tells you to press a letter key when this letter appears.
A bunch of X's appear. They are letters, so I just press X.
I realize that this makes an X disappear, whoohoo I'm progressing !
But then gameover comes out of nowhere.

When you get over this, the game is OK, but simple. I find that the speed is ramping up too slowly at the beginning.
I thought it was pretty fun once the game picked up a little, unfortunately then it got a little to hard to quickly, maybe adjust the difficulty curve a little.

my first play thought I goofed up and kept hitting shift, I can't remember why I did that, maybe I was just being stupid.

when I got to my 4th game Noticed I was getting kind of impatient in the beginning of the game where I would hit the letter the second it game on screen, and then have to wait 1/2 second or so for the next one.

I'm not sure if you need to do anything about it but, I noticed that when I made a mistake once I got to the more difficult section, I would just die, because I would make more than one mistake in rapid succession, so as long as I could keep from making a mistake I would keep going. Just something to think about I guess, I did get a little better at this in my last game.

I enjoyed it over all,

here are my scores for my first 4 games,
  1. 1300 High Streak: 4
  2. 110420 High Streak: 27
  3. 515880 High Streak: 51
  4. 1355580 High Streak: 115

I seek knowledge and to help others whom seek it
Well, my first game I tried playing and realized the sound on my laptop was on very high and it was late at night so I scrolled the sound down and instantly lost. I tried again and played a little. I tried one more time and scrolled again and lost. Apparently your game recognizes my scrolling as pressing a letter on the keyboard, you might want to fix that somehow because I don't think you intended that to happen.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement