Sign in to follow this  
greentiger

Learning Python/OpenGL

greentiger    162
I'm starting to get the hang of Python and am going through some really basic openGL tutorials.
However are there any tutorials on creating a map editor or is anyone willing to work with me?
I want to create a 3D map editor that uses blocks/tiles to piece together a map.
We could chat on IRC or skype :-) Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

LorenzoGatti    4442
I see a long distance between really basic OpenGL tutorials and creating a 3Dmap editor. You should start from the basics: first a well-behaved OpenGL context and "hello world" level graphics, then progress to displaying the sort of data found in your level, then actually load and save your levels and models, then place the visualizations you developed inside a level editor GUI application.

Both wxPython and PyQt (or PySide) offer embedded OpenGL surfaces in GUI applications.

greentiger    162
[quote name='LorenzoGatti' timestamp='1313334268' post='4848986']
I see a long distance between really basic OpenGL tutorials and creating a 3Dmap editor. You should start from the basics: first a well-behaved OpenGL context and "hello world" level graphics, then progress to displaying the sort of data found in your level, then actually load and save your levels and models, then place the visualizations you developed inside a level editor GUI application.

Both wxPython and PyQt (or PySide) offer embedded OpenGL surfaces in GUI applications.
[/quote]

Well I am learning.
I was able to draw terrain tiles based on a hard coded array.
Right now I'm working on fixing camera controls.
See http://www.gamedev.net/topic/609159-camera-controls-for-openglpython/page__view__findpost__p__4852966__fromsearch__1
[attachment=5092:sample.png]