Help for an absolute beginner

Started by
7 comments, last by mrsnowwhite 12 years, 8 months ago
Hello guys.. i am interested in game development~so how do i start?cn anyone plz tell me?
i noe nothing about game development.. can anyone recommend some book for me?thx
do i nid programming knowledge and wht role programming play in game development?
wht is the use of game engine? wht part did maya and 3ds max play? and wht is xna studio?
with software such as unity 3d, xna studio, and game maker, do i still nid programming knowledge??
thx for answering my question~appreciate it very much^^
Advertisement
one more question~what is openGL and Direct X? are they the same?
There are so many places you can look for the answers, including here on this site in the resources section and Google. Go explore! :)
You should read the beginners FAQ...

I personally recommend C#, then later, once you understand the language pretty well, learn and use XNA. XNA is 'framework', it provides a lot code for you to use to make graphical applications/games.

With Unity3D you will be able to get results much faster and easier. You will still need to know how to code, though.

OpenGL and DirectX are graphics APIs, kinda like XNA. The biggest difference between them is that OpenGL is crossplaftorm, while DirectX is windows only.
Read this, I wrote it to answer these types of questions.

A bit of time with google will help you too.

Hello guys.. i am interested in game development~so how do i start?cn anyone plz tell me?
i noe nothing about game development.. can anyone recommend some book for me?thx
do i nid programming knowledge and wht role programming play in game development?
wht is the use of game engine? wht part did maya and 3ds max play? and wht is xna studio?
with software such as unity 3d, xna studio, and game maker, do i still nid programming knowledge??
thx for answering my question~appreciate it very much^^

For me, two good books to start are "Game Development with Python and Pygame - McGugan" and "Beginning_C++_Game_Programming". And as usual I recommend you to start with 2D games if you are more interested in programming. If you are only interested in 3D I recommend you a game engine like unity 3D (you need to know a little bit of programming) but to start I think it's better with 2D games.
With regards to game development, it really depends on where you want to get involved.

Media: Visual or Audio

or

Programming

If you want to get into media side of things, download an image editor (I'd suggest gimppersonally) and start drawing characters, GUI's... and away you go.

It is really the programming side that has more scope as far as I am aware and there are lots of people who are going to give you advice about what language is best for you. There are two main languages that employers look for nowadays 1) C++ 2)Java granted, C#and a multitude of others are becoming more and more prevalent. This isn't to say what you are learning now will be useful by the time you master the language.

I recommend learning a language. Not because of the syntax or because it's what employers want, you're going to need a language that is suitable for you as a beginner. Remember 9/10 the language you'll be learning with, won't be industry standard by the time you've mastered it. So pick something simple. [s]Ruby has a good reputation, fairly simple, intuitive, I believe it's based on C++ I can't quite remember.[/s] EDIT("I have just been informed, that it's not the best thing for game programming, however it may still be useful to get the basics down") Python also has an up and coming user base. Unfortunately, they've just switched from 2.7 to version 3, which until 3 is more widely accepted (even by their own libraries), is going to cause some problems.

What you will need to learn isn't the memory allocation that C++ affords or how to write speedy code, but you will need to understand logic, a little mathematics and ease of understanding. New programmers nowadays often start with either Visual Basicor Java. (Or so it seems)

If you're a math genius, you might want to attempt haskell. *evil grin*
I recommend learning C++ first, then when your comfortable with that, look at three of the most popular 2d graphics API's, SFML, ALLEGRO, SDL. Choose wisely.
If you choose SDL or Allegro, take a look at her youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/LusikkaMage

As for SFML, just google SFML tutorials, and you should get a page full of good results.

Good luck!
thx guys.. i think i really nid to get a book to start ad..currently still thinking which to choose..java, c++, or c#
anyway..really thx for the advice given by u all..^^

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement