• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the major differences between C and C++ and which should I focus on?

This topic is 5995 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What are the major differences between C and C++ and which should I focus on? I understand that C might be more in depth and line oriented than C++, If I begin cranking away at C books will I have to completely overhaul my way of thinking to convert to C++? Or are you lost unless you are familiar with both variations. Thanks for the info =)

Advertisement
I think that today C++ is more important for game-programming. More and more API''s have interfaces you can use best with C++.

But to start learning I can advise to start with C to learn the basic rules, because 90% of what you learn you can reuse when you learn C++. Generally you can say that C is a subset of C++.

The other 10% refer to methods you learn for C, but which become obsolete when learning C++.

In my opinion it can''t be wrong to know both languages, but there''s certainly a difference in the way of thinking. C is straightforward and in C++ you have to think about how you could store your data in classes and how they are related to each other, so you must choose an inheritance hierarchie. (Yes, I like technical terms, which I can''t spell correctly )

C++ is basically C with some more Object Oriented additions to it. The major differences between the languages are how some people see them as ''meaning'' to be programmed. Though really you can mix C++ in with C and visa-versa without too much trouble.

Oh, and cha? Your IP doesn''t show any matches with old-timer mithrandir, so I ask you politely to quit impersonating regulars from these forums if you are doing just that.

-Ryan "Run_The_Shadows"
-Run_The_Shadows@excite.com
"Doubt Everything. Find your own light." -Dying words of Gautama
//BLATANT PLUG
My manic new web journal! Warning: Some ''adult'' language used, not suitable for anyone without a sense of deep-thought and cynicism

I didn''t intend to "steal" anyone''s nick, and I don''t think that my nick is so likely to be confused with someone else''s nick. I put the "cha" in front of my internet nick, which I already use since several years. "cha" is the short form of chaNetwork, which I am part of. It''s a very small (2 persons) freetime coding group.

And, to stay politely, I don''t care for any IP-matches, and I think few people do. Sorry, if it sounds rude, but I think that''s kind of paranoia. And I haven''t come to these forums to "impersonate" (whatever that may exactly mean, I don''t have a dictionary around, and english is not my native language), but to get and give information about coding. Neither do I want to spam using someone''s nick nor do I want to insult you or the other Mithrandir.

BTW: Mithrandir was invented by JRR Tolkien so noone can "claim" something like a "copyright" on that nick.

• Advertisement