• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Narciss

What are the major differences between C and C++ and which should I focus on?

This topic is 6090 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What are the major differences between C and C++ and which should I focus on? I understand that C might be more in depth and line oriented than C++, If I begin cranking away at C books will I have to completely overhaul my way of thinking to convert to C++? Or are you lost unless you are familiar with both variations. Thanks for the info =)

Advertisement
I think that today C++ is more important for game-programming. More and more API''s have interfaces you can use best with C++.

But to start learning I can advise to start with C to learn the basic rules, because 90% of what you learn you can reuse when you learn C++. Generally you can say that C is a subset of C++.

The other 10% refer to methods you learn for C, but which become obsolete when learning C++.

In my opinion it can''t be wrong to know both languages, but there''s certainly a difference in the way of thinking. C is straightforward and in C++ you have to think about how you could store your data in classes and how they are related to each other, so you must choose an inheritance hierarchie. (Yes, I like technical terms, which I can''t spell correctly )

C++ is basically C with some more Object Oriented additions to it. The major differences between the languages are how some people see them as ''meaning'' to be programmed. Though really you can mix C++ in with C and visa-versa without too much trouble.

Oh, and cha? Your IP doesn''t show any matches with old-timer mithrandir, so I ask you politely to quit impersonating regulars from these forums if you are doing just that.

-Ryan "Run_The_Shadows"
-Run_The_Shadows@excite.com
"Doubt Everything. Find your own light." -Dying words of Gautama
//BLATANT PLUG
My manic new web journal! Warning: Some ''adult'' language used, not suitable for anyone without a sense of deep-thought and cynicism

I didn''t intend to "steal" anyone''s nick, and I don''t think that my nick is so likely to be confused with someone else''s nick. I put the "cha" in front of my internet nick, which I already use since several years. "cha" is the short form of chaNetwork, which I am part of. It''s a very small (2 persons) freetime coding group.

And, to stay politely, I don''t care for any IP-matches, and I think few people do. Sorry, if it sounds rude, but I think that''s kind of paranoia. And I haven''t come to these forums to "impersonate" (whatever that may exactly mean, I don''t have a dictionary around, and english is not my native language), but to get and give information about coding. Neither do I want to spam using someone''s nick nor do I want to insult you or the other Mithrandir.

BTW: Mithrandir was invented by JRR Tolkien so noone can "claim" something like a "copyright" on that nick.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!