C++ or another language

Started by
50 comments, last by TheTroll 12 years, 8 months ago
Well When I jumped into C++ I was so confused, But I stuck with it, and now I pretty good with it. If I were you I'd just stick with it, because eventually you'll want to switch back.
Advertisement
If you think you can tackle C++, then go for it, since you know what it's like you can be the judge. If you switch languages, it may help you, but learning C++ is like learning Latin. When you learn it you'll recognize a lot in other languages. C# is fairly similar and fairly easier. You will produce games faster in XNA but if you want to get serious you will eventually have to learn C++. So it's up to you. If you feel to stressed then switch. If you feel you can handle it then keep it.

Don't switch just because someone says: "You should start with another language".
Switch because you feel, yourself, that it is too hard at the moment.

Don't switch just because someone says: "You should start with another language".

Or y'know... switch if you care about getting anything done anytime soon.

[quote name='doombunny3' timestamp='1313277209' post='4848794']

Or y'know... switch if you care about getting anything done anytime soon.
[/quote]

Your going to switch back to C++ eventually, so if you learn it know you can get stuff done later :).

It's not like he has deadlines to meet or anything. It's a good language, even if it is tough, but again totally personal choice if you want to stick it through or switch.

If you are a beginner certainly learn C++ until you are comfortable with it first then maybe move on to learning to write a game.

C# (with or without the XNA combo) uses the .NET Framework and is Microsoft-specific. It has great tools to aid game development as far as I'm aware, so if you're happy taking that route to only write games for Windows then at least have a look at it.

C# is not platform specific per-say, have you ever heard of Mono ?
it will enable your .Net app to run on Linux and Mac, with exception to a few features( there is a page telling what is supported, but a lot of it is, and all of the .Net 2 is )

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

If you really care about producing something, and ignoring other factors, C++ is a bad choice IMO. This goes for beginner and non-beginner alike.

I have used many languages over the years, and I can honestly say that I would never willingly choose to go back to C++ unless I had to. There are some potential reasons why I would have to program in C++ (existing code maintenance, interfacing with a particular library, etc.), but as I am mostly a hobby programmer, I have been able to limit these situations to nearly zero over the last few years.

That said, learning multiple languages is important to becoming a competent programmer. However, if you feel you are getting nowhere with a particular language, try learning a different one - you can always come back to it later if you want learn it.

Of course, my opinion only etc.

p.s. Often in these types of threads, which occur periodically, someone with claim that "only real game programmers use C++" or "C++ is faster/more powerful". I would advise ignoring these anti-wisdoms if they crop up, since they are completely meaningless.
I've personally been learning C++ myself as well. Right now I'm also in the crossroads wondering if I should switch now to C# for development.

After reading so much it seems like it's wise to use C# for its RAD and simplified properties. However what if development time really isn't critical at the moment? Would delving deeper into C++ instead be more worthwhile to learn proper memory management and other "inner workings"?

I don't think what I'm looking for as seeking for the faster or more powerful tool. With all the language choices out there it's pretty much a pain to find out what each one's extent or limitation is.

While eventually learning both and other languages is a possible in the future, for myself it's more of a matter of whether or not we can use C# as our primary (preferred?) tool of choice for games and other possible applications for years to come. If not, it seems to me it may be better to just use a much more trusted general tool instead.

Sorry I'm just a ball of confusion :)

I've personally been learning C++ myself as well. Right now I'm also in the crossroads wondering if I should switch now to C# for development.

After reading so much it seems like it's wise to use C# for its RAD and simplified properties. However what if development time really isn't critical at the moment? Would delving deeper into C++ instead be more worthwhile to learn proper memory management and other "inner workings"?

I don't think what I'm looking for as seeking for the faster or more powerful tool. With all the language choices out there it's pretty much a pain to find out what each one's extent or limitation is.

While eventually learning both and other languages is a possible in the future, for myself it's more of a matter of whether or not we can use C# as our primary (preferred?) tool of choice for games and other possible applications for years to come. If not, it seems to me it may be better to just use a much more trusted general tool instead.

Sorry I'm just a ball of confusion :)

Frankly I think a C# programmer that switched to C++ will be a better C++ programmer than someone who learned C++ as their first language.

Less bad habits to unlearn.

That said, moving to C++ from C# once you've learned the in's and out's of C# would be my definition of pain. Many people make the move one way, very few people make the move the other way unless forced.
No point in not continuing with C++ as it's a very powerful and straight-forward language.

No point in not continuing with C++ as it's a very powerful and straight-forward language.

LOL, anyone that calls C++ straight forward, doesn't know C++ that well. :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement