Sign in to follow this  
Yidito

where to start with ActionScript 3.0 on Flash CS5?

Yidito    100
hi, i am currently (about) to learn actionscript 3 for flash cs5, i just dont know where to start? what are the basics? Better yet, If someone knows pre-coded commands for action scripts that would be SUPER!
i really am committed to this.

thanks

32xtoomuch    100
my advice here is to have a project but start small. The one i always tell people to start with is to drag and drop items arounds the screen then get a character to move along the x,y ith the arrow keys.

after that you just keep adding to it like hitting a wall

getting a ball to bounce

inputting text and stuff and doing some simple check the answers

get all that done and your on your way

venatiodecorus    105
If you want to focus more on coding and less on keyframing, I'd highly recommend using FlashDevelop.

[url="http://www.flashdevelop.org/wikidocs/index.php?title=Main_Page"]http://www.flashdevelop.org/wikidocs/index.php?title=Main_Page[/url]

It functions much more like a regular code editor. It's the only way I work with Flash now.

way2lazy2care    790
[quote name='Laypoof' timestamp='1314637631' post='4855129']
will flash develop work on flash CS5?
[/quote]
flash develop is a completely different IDE that focuses just on actionscript coding. The Flash IDE (in your case CS5) is generally horrible from a coding perspective, and that's why you'd want to use flash develop.

For more specific help, look up "Flash Game University." It's a set of video tutorials a guy made about various flash/actionscript game development topics including stuff for beginners.

bwhiting    1562
you can code anywhere and publish anywhere pretty much

what you could do is draw your ui and graphical assets in the flash ide and export them as a SWC that can then be referenced in the flash develop environment

that way you get the benefit of flashes ide (its image/graphics tools) and the benefits of flash develop (proper code hinting and more powerful tools)

way2lazy2care    790
[quote name='bwhiting' timestamp='1314710380' post='4855424']
you can code anywhere and publish anywhere pretty much

what you could do is draw your ui and graphical assets in the flash ide and export them as a SWC that can then be referenced in the flash develop environment

that way you get the benefit of flashes ide (its image/graphics tools) and the benefits of flash develop (proper code hinting and more powerful tools)
[/quote]

You can also just mess with the code in flash develop and publish to a swf in the flash ide.

It doesn't matter what you write your .as files in. You could do it in notepad if you wanted.

Yidito    100
so is it faster and much more effefiant to draw and things in cs5 and code in flash development?

also, does flash develop use actionscript 3.0? if not what language is it?

way2lazy2care    790
[quote name='Laypoof' timestamp='1314729863' post='4855557']
so is it faster and much more effefiant to draw and things in cs5 and code in flash development?[/quote]
Yes. It is much better. Program a crappy game quick in CS5 and you'll see how bad the flash IDE is for any sort of complicated programming.

[quote]also, does flash develop use actionscript 3.0? if not what language is it?
[/quote]
I think it handles 1 and 2 also, but yes.