Python/Pygame or C#/XNA

Started by
22 comments, last by Serapth 12 years, 8 months ago
Been looking around for python games and seems they usually look ugly. or maybe they don't have graphic artists. I forgot Kingdom Rush was made by a bunch of people.

Will it cost me to develop games using C# + XNA or can I make the games I like with the free versions of Visual Studio?

I'm still a student, maybe I can get Visual Studio Pro for Free from MS Dreamspark.
Advertisement

Will it cost me to develop games using C# + XNA or can I make the games I like with the free versions of Visual Studio?

Completely free, unless you want to sell games for Xbox and/or Windows Phone 7, then you have to pay the $99 fee.

Been looking around for python games and seems they usually look ugly. or maybe they don't have graphic artists. I forgot Kingdom Rush was made by a bunch of people.

I'm still a student, maybe I can get Visual Studio Pro for Free from MS Dreamspark.

The majority of XNA games are hideous as well. This is a function of the fact that both platforms are mostly used by indies, rather than having anything to do with the platforms themselves.

The look of a game has nothing to do with the programming language and framework. The art will only be as good as the artist creating it. Dont ever judge a programming language or platform based on the way that the existing games made with it look. As a beginner, any language/framework you choose will be powerful enough. The last thing you need to worry about is the "power" of the language. You are not going to push ANY programming language to its processing limits with your games at this point, so dont worry about it. What you should be worried about is ease of learning/ minimal frustration, as well as a solid community to help you out.
Never, ever stop learning.
- Me

[quote name='13wood' timestamp='1313357257' post='4849111']
xna is better.

however, it has no designer, so it might be hard for a flashie like you.

does this mean i can't just make a picture of the a certain place and choose which parts cannot be walked into?

i haven't tried flash yet though.

-

Hmm since I wanted portability someone suggested Java. Java is not as easy as Python and C# right?
[/quote]

u can take a pic, and make bounding boxes, though

I would go with C#/XNA. It's more Object-Oriented and the syntax is closer to other modern languages (Java, C++). There's also plenty of support online and Visual Studio C# Express (free) has very good intellisense, which can help you learn various things you can do without needing to go online.

If portability matters to you, I would recommend Java/Slick2D. It's very similar to C#/XNA, but portable to other computer OSes (XNA is only portable to Xbox 360 and WinPho 7).

I would go with C#/XNA. It's more Object-Oriented

How is C#/XNA more Object-Oriented?

and the syntax is closer to other modern languages (Java, C++).

I wouldn't call Java or C++ modern languages (anymore), though they still can be quite useful in these modern times.

To the OP:
I've heard C#/XNA are a joy to work with -- they're probably a safe bet if limiting to Windows works for you.
How important is the portability to you? If you require Linux and other OSes, then Python/PyGame is a more appropriate tool.

It will help to cultivate a strong interest in the programming itself. Take some time to study whichever language you choose.
If you discover no passion for programming, you're likely better off with a form of game maker software. But give programming a try first!
outside game development, c# is better right? cause i might make programs for friends occasionally.

there's something in me that wants to make awesome games with python. but i don't know if that's something to be proud off since python is easier? i guess i'm thinking cause it's david vs the goliath C#(Microsoft).

could I make a living off making python games? will the transition into other languages be not that hard compared to from C# if I ever join a company?
Ugh. There is nothing noble about making things harder on yourself! This silly concept that a game isn't as good if it was easy to make needs to die, yesterday.

outside game development, c# is better right? cause i might make programs for friends occasionally.

depends on what you're doing. If the stuff you want to do is plugins for blender for example, python would be better. There are very few "X is better than Y" statements that hold true for programming languages. Programming languages are much more about choosing the right language for the job you want to do at that time. Once you have an idea of how to program it's pretty easy to learn any language.

there's something in me that wants to make awesome games with python. but i don't know if that's something to be proud off since python is easier? i guess i'm thinking cause it's david vs the goliath C#(Microsoft).

could I make a living off making python games? will the transition into other languages be not that hard compared to from C# if I ever join a company?
[/quote]

If something is easier it just allows you to explore different challenges more deeply. No reason to assume that just because some things are easier you won't have put in the extra effort somewhere else.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement