Python/Pygame or C#/XNA

Started by
22 comments, last by Serapth 12 years, 8 months ago
Hi guys. I want to know which programming language should I choose between the two. I'm aiming in making small games like Flash games and hope to be able to port it to other platforms. But of course I do plan to move into bigger projects so I don't want to limit myself to just Flash.

Here's a sample game that I like. Kingdom Rush. It is made from Flash. I like the cute graphics and maybe I can make other genre of games with the same/close to this art style. I want to make games for a living so I want to target more platforms if I can.

Btw I chose these two cause they're the most suggested so I can make games faster.

Thank you.

Advertisement
If you never had experience with programming before i would suggest go with Python's Pygame and you can mess around make som cool games there..
Otherwise if you did programming before go for XNA its fun and powerful!

If you never had experience with programming before i would suggest go with Python's Pygame and you can mess around make som cool games there..
Otherwise if you did programming before go for XNA its fun and powerful!

So I start with Python and will I transition into other languages in the future?

How about portability to other platforms? Is Python good with that?

Thanks.
Well I personally recommend C# and XNA because It's an powerful and easy to learn/use language!
XNA has a large community ( Don't know bout PyGame ) and is very robust!

Though C# and XNA is a bit tricky to port correctly to different platforms like iOSX and Linux.
MonoGame might be worth looking into though I don't know how much of a help it is...

For Python, I'll let another fill in why Python is a good choice...
Extra question. Is there any truth to this: "If you're going to use Python/Pygame then just use C#/XNA instead since they're both easy to learn but C#/XNA is a lot more powerful and has a large community."
xna is better.

however, it has no designer, so it might be hard for a flashie like you.

xna is better.

however, it has no designer, so it might be hard for a flashie like you.

does this mean i can't just make a picture of the a certain place and choose which parts cannot be walked into?

i haven't tried flash yet though.

-

Hmm since I wanted portability someone suggested Java. Java is not as easy as Python and C# right?
Python+PyGame is extremely portable. It's available on any platform you want.

C# is less portable. There exists mono, which is an open-source cross-platform runtime, but XNA is windows-only.

It is true that XNA has a much larger community than PyGame does. XNA is also much more production-ready, but PyGame is very capable.

Depending on how much of the coding you want to do yourself, you could also look into Unity. Unity allows you to write your game in C# (or some other languages), but it handles things like asset-loading and rendering, input-handling, etc.
That said, it sounds like right now you should be focusing on learning to program in the language of your choice rather than trying to write games.
I would probably choose XNA/C# over Python/PyGame simply because of Visual Studio.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement