Marxist RTS

Started by
34 comments, last by polyfrag 12 years, 7 months ago
Forget about Civilization III. It fails to realistically portray different economic systems at all.

Would it be possible to have an enjoyable strategy game like Civ or an RTS that accurately simulated economics?
Advertisement
It will be like StarCraft but better. The only thing that's different (in the interface) is that you will adjust wages for your different buildings, at what price each building sells its products, how much you want to pay for construction projects, and soldiers will be recruited to work on a contract for pay. And you will choose suppliers for each building.

And you don't own workers. You just pay them to do jobs.
And you don't own workers. You just pay them to do jobs.

But how are the workers created in the first place?
When there are no workers, 5 are randomly spawned. Each has 100 Consumer Goods (you can think of it as food) to keep them alive for a while and 10 Labour to spent doing work.

When they buy enough Consumer Goods they split and divide like microbes. Otherwise, they die of starvation and their money gets taken out of the game economy. This will only happen though if the players suck and can't maintain a working economy. Workers die when they can't reach the Shopping Complex in time to buy Consumer Goods to *eat* (path too hard too follow, buildings in the way), or can't reach Apartments to rest to recharge their Labour, or if the prices for those are too high, or if there aren't enough jobs reachable. I've tested this out with a previous version of the game so I know how it works.

Yes, because all RTS's are based on WarCraft.

I wish people understood my economic idea.

Forget about Civilization III. It fails to realistically portray different economic systems at all.

It will be like StarCraft but better.

You should rethink your attitude.
Not all RTS are based on WarCraft (what about settler ?). Nobody wants to read your other (advertising) posts to get a hang about what your are talking. And many people will wrinkle their nose when someone starts talking about successfull games like a I-can-make-it-much-better-teeny.

You should consider, that not everyone knows enough about marxist economy to understand your not presented ideas.

Take a deep breath, present the core feature of marxist economy and your ideas about the implementation in a short manner and ask some conrete question and you will see, that many people are eager to help you.
I think part of what has left me confused is having it compared (by yourself and by others) to games like Warcraft. As you've described some of the subsystems, I haven't been able to conjure up any gameplay style that resembles that at all.

Your ideas are sounding much more like an economic simulator (which can make for extremely fun games as well) akin to Capitalism or Railroad Tycoon.

I haven't ventured to your other posts though so maybe, in one of the linked posts/documents, it's cleared up.

[color="#1c2837"]resourceflow.png

[color="#1c2837"]* Resources have been fictionalized to make this game futuristic, like how StarCraft uses Vespene Gas.
You don't have to simulate a Marxist economy in an elaborate way. You just have to establish a system that seems to operate well initially, but runs itself into the ground after a while.
Latest project: Sideways Racing on the iPad
Maybe it is more Keynesian than Marxian. LuLz
This kind of resource management will not work well in a Warcraft like RTS setting where games are often won before the 10 minute mark. The game length is too short for this system to produce interesting results without the player frantically trying to keep their people happy and breeding like rabbits to crush the enemy. You would need the timeframe to be much longer, a few hours at least.
Developer for Novus Dawn : a [s]Flash[/s] Unity Isometric Tactical RPG - Forums - Facebook - DevLog

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement