Sign in to follow this  
32xtoomuch

3D char to move around

32xtoomuch    100
so ive been programming for a while now, done a bit of open GL and directx, not sure which i like the most yet but after ive made a few shapes and a few 2d apps i need a bit more now. How do you make a 3d charatcer from scratch and then get it into a platfrom and move it with keys?

I can model the 3d char in max (possibly all other progs as well but i use 3dsmax)

i can create a platform in c++ with the window class

but how do i throw it all together? Ive never come across this and the only other times ive had to do it is through an SDK where its pretty easy to use pre build code

Is there anywhere which introduces this kind of development where i can start to move away from 2d programming?

Thanks

Hey there,

For just getting started into 3d development I would recommend using openGL and hitting up the NeHe opengl tutorials. Once you've gotten through a few of those tutorials it should start to become pretty clear how to render basic objects in 3d, (pyramids and cubes are a good start).

Once you start to understand how VBO's (vertex buffer objects) push data to the GPU it should start to become more clear how you would render a more complicated object.

speciesUnknown    527
I would also recommend that you use an existing physics engine until you understand the basics and can implement things yourself - even then, a good piece of physics middleware can save you years and years (this is no joke) of development time.

L. Spiro    25638
Also, don’t waste time making an exporter for 3D Studio Max, or any other software.
You will want to export to FBX or Collada and then translate—or load directly—from there.

And you don’t necessarily have to do the art yourself.
You can get starter material from here which is beginner-friendly (easy to load and view) but so detailed it makes you excited about your work and keeps you going.
http://www.gfx-3d-model.com/

L. Spiro

32xtoomuch    100
thanks a bunch. Yes i understand that programming my own engine will be a total blag and noy sure i really have the skills to do such a thing, its just ive made the pac mans, breakout clones and 70's classics, just want to create a characher now which runs about in nothing more than a box room and or on a platform with full animation on the run cycle and all made by me.

great replies, thanks for the advice