Embedded Systems

Started by
1 comment, last by Telgin 12 years, 8 months ago
Hi!
What are the skills needed for a C++ application(Games) programmer to work in Embedded Systems Domain? What are the things to learn to get thorugh an Embedded Sytems interview?
Advertisement

What are the things to learn to get thorugh an Embedded Sytems interview?

Exactly the things the interviewer needs to hear to place you above every other candidate applying for the position.

So research the company, bribe the people working there to tell you about interviewer, obtain their interview questions, then find perfect answers to them and deliver a performance that will cause the interviewer to favor you.

What are the skills needed for a C++ application(Games) programmer to work in Embedded Systems Domain?[/quote]
Depends on industry, vendors, type of work.

Most of industrial embedded development tends to favor technology- and vendor-specific certification. Exact skills are not a priority, since lots of embedded development is based around conventions which are trained on the spot. And due to long and somewhat complex supply chains and development pipelines, process tends to take care of the rest, hence certification tends to demonstrate past work in same environments.

EE background is typically considered beneficial.
To add on what Antheus said, you might want to brush up on your regular old C skills. I know it used to be common once that embedded systems development used C instead of C++ because of the lack of decent compilers. I don't know if this is still the case, but I suspect that knowing C just as well as C++ would serve you well in the end.
Success requires no explanation. Failure allows none.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement