Does anyone have any advice when it comes to "starting" on a project?

Started by
15 comments, last by Orymus 12 years, 8 months ago
By ""starting" on a project", I mean finding where to begin.

I want to come up with an idea, but the thing is, I don't know what KIND of game I want it to be, car combat, fighting, etc. Following that, I draw blanks on what to do story wise, etc.

Creative writing/design block basically.

Advertisement

By ""starting" on a project", I mean finding where to begin.

I want to come up with an idea, but the thing is, I don't know what KIND of game I want it to be, car combat, fighting, etc. Following that, I draw blanks on what to do story wise, etc.

Creative writing/design block basically.

If you can't think of a cool game idea, just think of a cool idea and turn it into a game. For example, I am interested in NUI interfaces, so I'd experiment with that and eventually design a game around what I find interesting about the possibilities with them.

Otherwise I generally promote picking a simple game you liked, finding something about it you didn't like or something you wish it had, and remaking the game with the new feature/fix.
Finding a good idea is harder than it sounds. Instead come up with a basic idea and build off of it. If this is your first project it will be a learning one. Basically if in the end you enjoy playing it, you have a good idea. Then you pass it on to others. Only then do you really know if the idea is worth anything.

Sprite Creator 3 VX & XP

WARNING: I edit my posts constantly.

Moving to Game Design.
Other threads have been written here about Creativity. (Look for phrase "I stink" in subject line.)

Edit1: Oh wait, that thread is in Writing. http://www.gamedev...I stink...

Edit2: Double "DOH!" I just realized that thread was started by you, killer of many gray snakes. Apparently you REALLY DO stink when it comes up to deciding on something to work on. So let's try this: WHY do you want to program something? What do you hope to achieve? Let's start there, okay? As Steven Covey says: begin with the end in mind. (In this case, we use the "purpose" submeaning of "end.")

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Bump/Edit3: See, the thing about creativity is, you can't start with a wide-open "anything goes" outlook. You have to have criteria (what some people call "constraints"). So as I said in edit2, let's start by narrowing down the too-big universe of possibilities, and one way to do that is "why do you want to make something."

Then don't make a game, try designing software instead. Make a simple text editor or menu system.

Maybe games just aren't your thing.. either way this is something you're definitely going to have to get over. Problem solving ideas that have never been done before is a major concept when trying to stay ahead of the curve.

@Tom - I wanted to like your post just for the comedy factor ;)
[ dev journal ]
[ current projects' videos ]
[ Zolo Project ]
I'm not mean, I just like to get to the point.
You could make a list of your favorite games. Perhaps they have some things in common. Use those as a core for a design.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Well I am just trying to find my way into the Gaming Industry, either through design or programming. It's going to be one or the other. I really don't have a choice. There is nothing else I can see myself doing in life.

Well I am just trying to find my way into the Gaming Industry, either through design or programming. It's going to be one or the other. I really don't have a choice. There is nothing else I can see myself doing in life.

Which is a poor outlook to start from; I find the best programmers and, especially, designers come from a long and varied background. If you start drawing blanks right from the word GO then design is just not something for you - creative blocks are common but you shouldn't be completely clueless as to what to do!

Finally, of course you have a choice! We've all got a choice. So, ask yourself, why do you really want to do this? What do you hope to accomplish? A project in itself shouldn't just be a tick on your resume - it should be done for a reason, whatever that reason is, otherwise you doom the project from the get go.
"I will personally burn everything I've made to the fucking ground if I think I can catch them in the flames."
~ Gabe
"I don't mean to rush you but you are keeping two civilizations waiting!"
~ Cavil, BSG.
"If it's really important to you that other people follow your True Brace Style, it just indicates you're inexperienced. Go find something productive to do."
[size=2]~ Bregma

"Well, you're not alone.

There's a club for people like that. It's called Everybody and we meet at the bar[size=2].

"

[size=2]~

[size=1]Antheus

Yes, but you are not letting me help you. Answer my question. Don't talk ten years down the road -- talk three months down the road. WHY do you want to write a program right now? What do you want to achieve out of the program you want to write right now? I'm trying to help you decide on a project, and when I ask you, all you give me is the sun, the moon, and the stars. Focus! Narrow it down.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement