relevance of Jackson System Development and CSP

Started by
4 comments, last by hughiecoles 12 years, 8 months ago
I'm wondering if communicating sequential processes and Jackson System Development are still relevant design methodologies? Also, what are the most commonly used design approaches currently?
--------------------------------------Not All Martyrs See Divinity, But At Least You Tried
Advertisement

Also, what are the most commonly used design approaches currently?

For design of what?
*Software system design
--------------------------------------Not All Martyrs See Divinity, But At Least You Tried
The design approaches used for software systems is a very broad question... A flight controller will be approached in a very different way to a flash game.

I've never heard of JSD, and I've only heard of CSP due to researching background works in concurrency - I've not seen either of them actually used.

Most places that I've worked at have used informally specified approaches to design, or have followed internal (company) processes that don't have formal names.
I got to study Jackson System Development and Warnier/Orr diagrams in college and I thought they were worthless. They apply only to trivial situations, where you actually don't need any help with design. I have never heard of any company that uses them, and I would never work for one that did.
Thanks, That's what I gathered. My school's Systems Development course covers JSD, CSP, and Z Notation, so I figured I'd get some opinions before I wasted my time on the course.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement