Sign in to follow this  

Source mods will teach me?

This topic is 2317 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Quick question here..

I found on steam that you can make your own customized Half-Life2 for example with the Source SDK and with this make ur own small modifications of the game.. Is this something i could use to learn C++?

Thanks!

[quote name='TheCompBoy' timestamp='1313433575' post='4849488']
Quick question here..

I found on steam that you can make your own customized Half-Life2 for example with the Source SDK and with this make ur own small modifications of the game.. Is this something i could use to learn C++?

Thanks!
[/quote]

Not C++, not really programming either... but it will teach a big thing... using someone else's tools. Alot of game making is done by using third party tools, rather than actually coding. It will also give you incite about how games are actually put together... so when you do learn an actual programming language (non scripting), it'll be easier to problem solve your designs.

I've never used source or any of the other big engines, but back in the day I used rpgmaker all the time and alot of my 2D techniques and scripting comes from what I gleamed off of that tool, and that was before I even learned QBasic.

[quote name='freeworld' timestamp='1313434224' post='4849493']
[quote name='TheCompBoy' timestamp='1313433575' post='4849488']
Quick question here..

Thanks!
[/quote]

Not C++, not really programming either... but it will teach a big thing... using someone else's tools. Alot of game making is done by using third party tools, rather than actually coding. It will also give you incite about how games are actually put together... so when you do learn an actual programming language (non scripting), it'll be easier to problem solve your designs.

I've never used source or any of the other big engines, but back in the day I used rpgmaker all the time and alot of my 2D techniques and scripting comes from what I gleamed off of that tool, and that was before I even learned QBasic.
[/quote]

But i checked around for this SDK and it does generate .cpp files for the Half life game and i can edit things in the .cpp files so if i would create more files and more features i would learn on the way from this ? Or would i ?

Trust me, source mods are a horrific way to learn C++. You will spend 10x more time trying to navigate your way around source than you will learning anything.

This topic is 2317 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.