MMORPG - What language, what engine, where to start?

Started by
24 comments, last by Quasimojo 12 years, 8 months ago
Just to get this clear: making a game of a high caliber such as Diablo II is not that much easier than making any other AAA+ title. Yes, it's a decade old - and no, that does not make it easy to make a decade later. Making such a complex game should be a goal in and on itself. :)
"I will personally burn everything I've made to the fucking ground if I think I can catch them in the flames."
~ Gabe
"I don't mean to rush you but you are keeping two civilizations waiting!"
~ Cavil, BSG.
"If it's really important to you that other people follow your True Brace Style, it just indicates you're inexperienced. Go find something productive to do."
[size=2]~ Bregma

"Well, you're not alone.

There's a club for people like that. It's called Everybody and we meet at the bar[size=2].

"

[size=2]~

[size=1]Antheus
Advertisement
If you want to make an MMORPG, first make a few other games. Small games, if you wish, but you must really get the basics of game design down. Creating any game is no easy task - when you first start out, even pong can provide some difficulties, so I would definitely try to grasp the concepts (reading can help this - programming is better). Also, I would recommend not undertaking such a task on your own. You may get a week in and decide it's too overwhelming. An MMORPG requires efficient networking as well as rendering/gameplay (in a nutshell) which all tend to be very broad topics in and of themselves.

As far as your programming background, I highly recommend being comfortable with all aspects of OOP (IEP). That is, Inheritance, Encapsulation, and Polymorphism. These are big words for "relatively" simple concepts. It is definitely important to have a strong programming background before going into any gaming project.

Good luck!

-RageD

[quote name='0Circle0' timestamp='1313439183' post='4849534']

LOL, is that profile pic a joke or something?
[/quote]

Pic is not directly loaded from this site, but instead it came with the login from using facebook login(IE facebook profile pic). Try to stay on topic. It is not the pic that gives information, but instead the user. Don't care to change it.

Sprite Creator 3 VX & XP

WARNING: I edit my posts constantly.

If you want to make an MMORPG, first make a few other games. Small games, if you wish, but you must really get the basics of game design down. Creating any game is no easy task - when you first start out, even pong can provide some difficulties, so I would definitely try to grasp the concepts (reading can help this - programming is better). Also, I would recommend not undertaking such a task on your own. You may get a week in and decide it's too overwhelming. An MMORPG requires efficient networking as well as rendering/gameplay (in a nutshell) which all tend to be very broad topics in and of themselves.

As far as your programming background, I highly recommend being comfortable with all aspects of OOP (IEP). That is, Inheritance, Encapsulation, and Polymorphism. These are big words for "relatively" simple concepts. It is definitely important to have a strong programming background before going into any gaming project.

Good luck!

-RageD

Thanks a lot. Some great tips. I've learned about inheritance in school but never got to e and p. I decided for my first project I'm going to make a basic blackjack program in c++ just to get back into the syntax and relearn the basics.

Is it ok if I post here for help or do I have to go to a different section or forums for simple help (that is if I cannot find it with google).

Is it ok if I post here for help or do I have to go to a different section or forums for simple help (that is if I cannot find it with google).

This is the right forum. You should probably start a new thread, with a new subject line matching the topic, and always start a new thread every time you have a new question.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

[quote name='unholyx' timestamp='1313451401' post='4849622']

This is the right forum. You should probably start a new thread, with a new subject line matching the topic, and always start a new thread every time you have a new question.
[/quote]

And you will get better responses if you leave the evil "MMORPG" out of your title, maybe call it a multiplayer rpg.
People tend to get wound up when someone mentions they want to create an MMORPG. I guess it's because there's a slim chance, if any, that a novice programmer would ever *complete* one. I'm gonna have to disagree with the "conventional wisdom" and say that working on a MMORPG *is* worth your time, if you're passionate about it. Whether or not you ever finish it, it's a learning opportunity.

Your mileage may vary.
I'm working on a multiplayer game in Unity 3d and have spent a bit of time researching the various middleware options available.

A full blown MMO is more than 1 person can do, I believe, at least for a beginner.

That said, there are multiple middleware platforms that offer demos of mmos built with Unity that you can download, build and run out of the box. These are offered because the companies want you to use their product, and you're supposed to tweak the code/models to create your own game.

One of the more interesting products I've seen is UnityPark. It boasts a 1,000 simultaneous player fps, but the magic with it is that it uses more than 1 server and they've taken care of all the synchronization between servers. The example world they give you for the snowball fight is a mmo with 2 servers hosting the level, which you can play from a web browser, straight out of the box. http://www.unitypark3d.com/

Smartfox Server was predominantly used for flash based games but plenty of Unity games use it. There is a FPS smartfox package to get people started with.

Unity uses Raknet as it's built-in networking but it is multiplayer and not mmo.

Photon is a popular platform for multiplayer games, it has a free license up to a number of players http://photon.exitgames.com/

ElectroServer allows free use up to 50 players, and can scale to thousands of players for a cost (allows udp) http://www.electrotank.com/es5.html

Badumna is an option for both Unity and XNA http://www.scalify.com/badumna.php

Also for a beginner I highly recommend Unity, I only have the free version and have been addicted to it since because of it's simplicity to power ratio. I've been using it for 6 weeks in my spare time(working full-time student), I'm a newb, but I've been impressed by what I've seen so far. Here's a simple example of a web build I'm working on, it's rough, but I'm a newb, so give me 2 years working with the engine and I should be doing alright,

People tend to get wound up when someone mentions they want to create an MMORPG. I guess it's because there's a slim chance, if any, that a novice programmer would ever *complete* one. I'm gonna have to disagree with the "conventional wisdom" and say that working on a MMORPG *is* worth your time, if you're passionate about it. Whether or not you ever finish it, it's a learning opportunity.

Your mileage may vary.

Not for a novice programmer. If a novice attempts to "work on" an MMORPG for his 1st game, he'll be stuck in the mud, spinning his wheels going nowhere fast.

What they should do is learn how to #1 program, #2, program games, #3, program multiplayer, then, if they're competent, they could dig into some of the steps required for MMORPG.

My Gamedev Journal: 2D Game Making, the Easy Way

---(Old Blog, still has good info): 2dGameMaking
-----
"No one ever posts on that message board; it's too crowded." - Yoga Berra (sorta)

and I also want to become a strong programmer. As I said above my programming is very weak, I know there is a lot of tutorials out there but I'm just not sure what to do. Should I learn any and all tutorials and eventually make a simple program and then develop it into a complex program so I can get a better understanding of how things work?

I'm not sure if this has been addressed yet, but that's NOT the way to learn. Make programs from the very beginning, and all the time! Many programs. Learn by doing, learn new things when you face them. Learning and reading only doesn't worth a damn. Practice.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement