MMORPG - What language, what engine, where to start?

Started by
24 comments, last by Quasimojo 12 years, 8 months ago
Hi all,

I'm trying to take my first steps into developing my own mmorpg.

When coming up with my idea, all I thought about was "Ok I'm going to download this engine, draw a bunch of crap and get my game on it's way." But after doing some more in-depth reading I realized that's not the best way to start.

I currently dabble in C++ and Java and feel comfortable with programming--though I'm not too confident on OOP like using implement or extend as my coding is pretty sloppy, so my algorithmic talent is crappy.

I'm just wondering--for mmorpg purposes--what language should I learn? I understand that different engines have different languages I believe? Or maybe they have their own language I'm not sure.

Mainly I want to accomplish two things:

be able to model 3d objects - which I will use the Esenthel engine (if it has that capability) or autodesk/blender. <- which do you think is better for beginners?

and I also want to become a strong programmer. As I said above my programming is very weak, I know there is a lot of tutorials out there but I'm just not sure what to do. Should I learn any and all tutorials and eventually make a simple program and then develop it into a complex program so I can get a better understanding of how things work?

In doing the programming I want to learn things that will help me in mmorpg development so any pointers towards that would be appreciated.

Or should I just forget all that I just wrote and make my game on RPGMAKER so I can develop the storyline and add in all the items/armor/quest that will in the future give the real game a backbone to start on?

Or should I try to make my game in c++/java so I can learn more of the language as I make my game?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: if you guys can please write a vague description on what these languages are geared towards and if they can help me with anything in terms of mmorpg development.

Python
XNA
VB
Assembly

Btw I just saw the "For Beginners" Forum FAQ on top so I'm reading that now :o
Advertisement
The rule of thumb is, don't create an MMORPG!
I'm not an "pro" or an experience programmer but mmorpgs are very complex and time consuming projects.

Have you made games before?

EDIT:
You don't seam very competent in the area of game making ( nether am i so don't take it to hard ), but having a strong knowledge in the language you like
and having a "few" COMPLETED games in your backpack is something i would recommend before even thinking about such a large project!

Try out Java and learn the syntax, algorithms and techniques then when you are confident you can move on to something like C++! Most programming knowledge can be applied to almost any language :3

Read this , then when done, give up on the silly idea of creating an MMO and start on something a lot more realistic.
If you want to learn towards the ability to make an MMO, the above link will not lead you in the wrong direction.
I have been programming for 14 years, made many games. I don't think I would want to tackle a MMORPG alone...They are severely complex require a very large knowledge and understanding of creating games and networking. You need to be quite versed in programming (most games are C++ based) before you even think of doing a MMORPG. They are not something you can just do as a first project. Even a basic RPG is more of an advanced type of game to program. Using an engine may make the process easier, but even making an interesting game with Game Maker/ RPG Maker will be difficult and wont be an MMORPG. 3D MMORPG using to Torque engine may be better to use but even then.

Point I am trying to make. Make a RPG even a basic one then move to MMORPG something like Diablo 2, getting the basics of networking down and what is needed to move from a RPG to an MRPG to MMORPG.

If you haven't been to school to learn programming like me, I wouldn't try to just jump into a MMORPG.

If you want to learn to do it anyways. Learn C++, get into the OOP aspects, learn DirectX or OpenGL VERY WELL, learn how to do networking, Client/Server stuff. If you really want to learn how to program a MMORPG while learning to program and actually manage to pull it off, you will be doing EXTREMELY well.

Sprite Creator 3 VX & XP

WARNING: I edit my posts constantly.

Read this , then when done, give up on the silly idea of creating an MMO and start on something a lot more realistic.
If you want to learn towards the ability to make an MMO, the above link will not lead you in the wrong direction.

Thanks a lot! That was a ton of useful info. Much appreciated.

Point I am trying to make. Make a RPG even a basic one then move to MMORPG something like Diablo 2, getting the basics of networking down and what is needed to move from a RPG to an MRPG to MMORPG.

If you want to learn to do it anyways. Learn C++, get into the OOP aspects, learn DirectX or OpenGL VERY WELL, learn how to do networking, Client/Server stuff. If you really want to learn how to program a MMORPG while learning to program and actually manage to pull it off, you will be doing EXTREMELY well.

If I start from something simple like making an RPG, then making something like Diablo 2, in the end would I still have to learn C++, OOP, Directx/OpenGL and all that?

This was my plan. I was going to learn how to use the engine and make a simple field with a simple character and just learn how to do the features for the game like shops, skills, the ui, stuff like that and pay people for graphics like armor, maps, items, npcs, etc.

People constantly say it takes millions to make a mmorpg, but if I'm only paying for graphics and do everything else myself, I think it would be much cheaper. I saw on a site called 3dbud (just an example) they had a male 3d model of a character for only $27. A set of armor is probably going to cost $100. In the end I'll only be spending about 10k-20k for all the graphics while learning how everything else works as I'm experimenting with the engine. I know this is a long term project, I don't plan to be done until about a decade or more. In that time frame I was just planning on saving and paying freelancers to do stuff while doing stuff myself as well.

Would that be a better plan or should I stick to making something simple first.

*Thanks for the info, last few sentences was what I was looking for. Needed a basic guideline on what to learn.

I have been programming for 14 years, made many games. I don't think I would want to tackle a MMORPG alone...They are severely complex require a very large knowledge and understanding of creating games and networking. You need to be quite versed in programming (most games are C++ based) before you even think of doing a MMORPG. They are not something you can just do as a first project. Even a basic RPG is more of an advanced type of game to program. Using an engine may make the process easier, but even making an interesting game with Game Maker/ RPG Maker will be difficult and wont be an MMORPG. 3D MMORPG using to Torque engine may be better to use but even then.

If you haven't been to school to learn programming like me, I wouldn't try to just jump into a MMORPG.

LOL, is that profile pic a joke or something?
Unless you have good experience with a programming language (The one you are using for development) AND have worked on a similar game for single player, and have background in developing applications that interact network wise. I believe a MMORPG isnt your project of choice just yet..

Object orientation has no problem, Get better at programming practices, code readability, and the indent button ;)

"LOL, is that profile pic a joke or something?"

Atleast i know now, im not the only one who shows an interest in body building.

Unless you have good experience with a programming language (The one you are using for development) AND have worked on a similar game for single player, and have background in developing applications that interact network wise. I believe a MMORPG isnt your project of choice just yet..

Object orientation has no problem, Get better at programming practices, code readability, and the indent button ;)

"LOL, is that profile pic a joke or something?"

Atleast i know now, im not the only one who shows an interest in body building.

Thanks guys for the advice. I made this thread with a half and half attitude about jumping right into the engine. But now I am 100% informed that I should learn how to code and how networking works before I even download the engine. Much discouragement :[ but at least you've led me in the right direction

As bad as it sounds, be very prepared before jumping into the battle. Or ull spend most of it, learning, and not battling.

Its worth it however, a couple more months to a year or two or preparing. Then when getting into the development, ull already have an idea of how you want half of it to work.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement