Sign in to follow this  
RageD

3rd Person RPG Camera

RageD    152
Hey everyone,

I am working on a small RPG project for my portfolio. Now, I am having a few issues with my camera.

I want an "orbiting" camera - I am using the Ogre Engine for my graphics library. The node setup is this:

[code]
Char Node -> Camera Node (child of char node) -> Camera (attached to Camera Node)
[/code]

On a very primitive level, I want to circle an arbitrary radius around my "char node" in the XZ-plane while I appropriately rotate about the Y-axis to maintain an appropriate visual of my character (i.e. always look at char node's position). Does anyone have any good methods/resources to go about doing this? I prefer a quaternion solution, however, I am not opposed to use roll/pitch/yaw and translate. I am not necessarily looking for a code solution either - for some reason I am hitting a block and I cannot get things to rotate/look properly.

Thanks for the help!

-RageD

oggs91    421
[quote name='RageD' timestamp='1313448369' post='4849607']
Hey everyone,

I am working on a small RPG project for my portfolio. Now, I am having a few issues with my camera.

I want an "orbiting" camera - I am using the Ogre Engine for my graphics library. The node setup is this:

[code]
Char Node -> Camera Node (child of char node) -> Camera (attached to Camera Node)
[/code]

On a very primitive level, I want to circle an arbitrary radius around my "char node" in the XZ-plane while I appropriately rotate about the Y-axis to maintain an appropriate visual of my character (i.e. always look at char node's position). Does anyone have any good methods/resources to go about doing this? I prefer a quaternion solution, however, I am not opposed to use roll/pitch/yaw and translate. I am not necessarily looking for a code solution either - for some reason I am hitting a block and I cannot get things to rotate/look properly.

Thanks for the help!

-RageD
[/quote]

http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/3rd+person+camera+system+tutorial