• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Quasimojo

Question regarding inheritance

This topic is 2476 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Given the following:

#include <vector>
#include "entities.h"

typedef unsigned long GLOBALID;

using namespace std;

class BaseEntity {
char[10] Name;
};

class Mob : public BaseEntity {
Mob() { Name = "Orc"; }
};

class Player : public BaseEntity {
Player() { Name = "Frodo"; }
};

class Factory_Entity {
public:
vector<BaseEntity*> EntityList;
protected:
BaseEntity* TrackEntity(BaseEntity*);
};

class Factory_Mob : public Factory_Entity {
public:
Mob* CreateMob();
};

class Factory_Player : public Factory_Entity {
public:
Player* CreatePlayer(GLOBALID);
protected:
Player* LoadPlayer(GLOBALID);
};

Shouldn't the following work?

BaseEntity* Factory_Entity::TrackEntity(BaseEntity* entity)
{
EntityList.push_back(entity);
return EntityList.back(); // Error occurring on this line
}
Mob* Factory_Mob::CreateMob(MobType* mobType)
{
Mob* mob = new Mob();

// Add mob to global mob list
return Factory_Entity::TrackEntity(mob);
}

I'm getting the following error:

entityfactory.cpp:14: error: invalid conversion from ‘BaseEntity*’ to ‘Mob*’ [-fpermissive]

My understanding was that derived classes could be used wherever the base class is expected, as a derived class *is* a version of the base class. Where am I off base?

Advertisement
The problem is that TrackEntity returns a BaseEntity*. In CreateMob() you try to return a BaseEntity* when the return type is Mob*. BaseEntity* will not implicitly convert into a Mob*. A Mob* on the other hand will happily convert to a BaseEntity* because Mob is a subclass of BaseEntity.

The problem is that TrackEntity returns a BaseEntity*. In CreateMob() you try to return a BaseEntity* when the return type is Mob*. BaseEntity* will not implicitly convert into a Mob*. A Mob* on the other hand will happily convert to a BaseEntity* because Mob is a subclass of BaseEntity.

Ok. I understand. I was trying to avoid duplicating the TrackEntity code specifically for Mobs and Players, just for a different return type. Is there a way to do that in this situation?

Ok. I understand. I was trying to avoid duplicating the TrackEntity code specifically for Mobs and Players, just for a different return type. Is there a way to do that in this situation?

In this case you should be able to [font="Courier New"]static_cast<>[/font] safely. The code you pasted guarantees the dynamic type of the returned value to be a pointer-to-derived, which means [font="Courier New"]static_cast<>[/font] is just oil telling the compiler you know what you're doing and to relax the rules for just this once. If you could not guarantee the returned value is a pointer-to-derived of the right type, you would be forced to use [font="Courier New"]dynamic_cast<>[/font] and check the result.

Alternately you can make your factory class a template type (possibly using a base interface and covariant return types).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!