Starting C++ game. Need some help.

Started by
8 comments, last by AdamShultz 12 years, 7 months ago
Hi. I have few ideas about my 'new' game. It hasn't been started yet because i want to know the best solution for starting it. The game would look simple fighter, stick figures, animations, white/black colours. That's all what i want for starting. I have four years experience with Pawn, some weeks with Java and C++. I think i know C++ basics kinda good, but as you see im not really good at programming language terms. I would prefer to use C++ language. And my questions are: what's the most suitable 2D graphics (maybe psyhics, animation) engine would be? And how to do animations? Basiclly i imagine the theory of moving pictures, but that's crazy idea. I think there's easier way to do it. Thank you for reading. :)
Advertisement
You can look at SMFL for drawing your game. It's very easy to learn and use 2D library. As for the animation you could just use a series of images and have a controller class that draws the correct frame of animation that you require. Always remember google is your friend.
C++ has some good libraries. SDL, Allegro and SMFL are ones that come to mind. All easy to learn and use.

Sprite Creator 3 VX & XP

WARNING: I edit my posts constantly.

I put together this link with a summary of tools, books and resources for new C++ game developers.
Thanks for answers. Just got started working with SFML. Now how about animations? I think i would do it like moving lines, circles... is it worth to do so or it's better to use images? Btw. Later i'll need to detect collision, hit spots, walking, jumping etc.
I don't understand your question. If your art style is primitive shapes, then use moving primitive shapes. If your art style is animated pictures, then use images. For other art styles, you might render a 3D scene from a 2D perspective.

What is your art style?
I want to draw shapes and move them like a whole sticky fighter. But im not sure it's the best way to do it.
Drawing it as a sprite sheet will always be easier.
You'll find that creating a character(sprite) sheet with each stage of the animation will be easier than calculating the movements and where to draw each line on the fly. Not to mention a lot less lines of code.

Sprite Creator 3 VX & XP

WARNING: I edit my posts constantly.

Create a sprite sheet for the character with all it's frames, use a timer, and variable to animate it at good speeds, I don't know how to do this in SFML, but I've done it in Allegro.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement