Sign in to follow this  
Burnskagen

What LIB to use? Football Manager game

Burnskagen    103
So I plan on making a game similar to football manager. In other words, one in full screen, with no 3D but some pretty heavy generated images in specific scenes (will use a loading bar for this) and loads of text and still graphics.

The question is, which graphical library would be the best to use for this, I will be coding in C++. I need one that does not lag, cause after using SDL for a while I see that it really is limiting because of the amount of lag it produces. Any ideas?

rip-off    10979
SDL does not "produce" lag. Something you are doing with SDL is producing lag. Using [u]any library[/u] the wrong way can result in problems like this. Can you show us a small example SDL program that demonstrates this behaviour?

Can you explain what "pretty heavy generated images" means? How are these being generated, and how often? How big are they?

Burnskagen    103
True, well by pretty heavy generated images I mean such as a world map with nation-boundaries generated from a database and lots of other data-dependent stuff on it, but I don't think this matter much. Which library would you suggest?

rip-off    10979
You might want to consider an API which allows you to easily draw arbitrary polygons if you want to draw complex country shapes. That said, your requirements don't sound too onerous, I suspect even a totally software implementation should be able to do what you want.

BeerNutts    4401
SDL is known to be slow. It uses software to render it's images.

I would suggest checking out [url="http://sfml-dev.org"]SFML[/url] It has a great 2d interface, and it runs on top of OpenGL, so all the rendering is done in hardware.